Black Dogs slip up

Bungay Town 1, Wymondham Town 2THE Black Dogs lost top place in the Anglian Combination Division One as they slipped to a disappointing home defeat to Wymondham on Saturday.

Bungay Town 1, Wymondham Town 2

THE Black Dogs lost top place in the Anglian Combination Division One as they slipped to a disappointing home defeat to Wymondham on Saturday.

All three goals came in a four-minute spell just before half-time, and with Mattishall drawing and Kirkley & Pakefield Reserves winning, Bungay are third on goal difference, with all three on 20 points.

But the home side should have been three up before Wymondham scored as they dominated the opening spell, despite losing Danny Wilby with a dead leg after only seven minutes - Paul Hunter replacing him, writes Terry Reeve.

They forced a corner in the first 10 seconds as Rory French's cross was headed clear and then the striker broke clear, but his lob over the keeper cleared the bar.

French had an even better chance on 11 minutes as he was bought down as he was about to shoot, but the keeper made a flying save to keep out his spot kick.

Most Read

The clearance led to an indirect free-kick 12 yards out but Hunter's shot was blocked by the wall.

In the 27th minute a fine move involving Hunter and French set up Luke Field for a great chance, but he pulled his low shot wide.

Then a fine long ball from Tom Daniels saw Ed Collings do the hard work by working himself a chance with only the keeper to beat, but he too fired wide.

The let-offs saw the visitors gradually get into the game, and Jimmy Bligh had to be alert to block an effort for a corner.

Collings did net for Bungay but the effort was disallowed for offside. From the quickly taken free-kick Wymondham broke down the right and Neil Stannard scored at the far post when a low cross came over.

The Black dogs, stung by the set-back, were level within three minutes with a superb goal.

Daniels, Hunter and French combined to set up Collings, and this time he blasted his shot into the net form 12 yards.

But fatal relaxation from the kick-off saw Wymondham regain the lead immediately, stretching the home defence for James McCloy to stride forward and beat the advancing Bligh.

Bungay had a chance to equalise before the interval as Hunter floated over a teasing cross but French misjudged his jump and missed his header.

The second half saw fewer chances, with Bungay being able to make little real headway against a good Wymondham side, who had the better chances.

Bligh finger-tipped one effort over the bar and then made a point-blank save from the corner.

As Bungay's efforts got more desperate Tom Amis had a shot blocked as French found him with a low cross.

Bungay: J Bligh, T Daniels, C Hunting, L Henwood, D Lowe, D Wilby (P Hunter), L Field (M Harvey), N Renaut, J McFarland (T Amis), R French, E Collings.

Tomorrow, Bungay entertain Horsford United (2.30pm).