Blooming good results for Poppy
Beccles Tennis Club finals began in the wet but finished in sunshine, a reward for the persistence and optimism of the players.Darren Poppy had a very successful day, winning three titles.
Beccles Tennis Club finals began in the wet but finished in sunshine, a reward for the persistence and optimism of the players.
Darren Poppy had a very successful day, winning three titles.
He only just managed to overcome Conor McQuistin in the singles, winning on a championship tie-break. Conor deservedly received the most improved junior award.
Darren continued his winning
form in the doubles, in the men's with Ray Finch and the mixed with Linda Green.
The latter event was played as an American tournament and brought more participation to finals day.
- 1 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 2 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 3 Estate agent hosting auction for air ambulance appeal
- 4 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers need to know about this week
- 5 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 6 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 7 Appeal for more Suffolk blood donors to prevent stocks running low
- 8 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 9 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
- 10 Man freed from vehicle and taken to hospital following crash
The ladies' doubles was won by new member Anne Green with Sharon Carter, and the most improved senior was Jean Smith, who confirmed this by being runner-up in the mixed doubles with Justin Howlett.
The ladies' singles will be contested at a later date.
Club person of the year award went to D team captain Monty Montacute, whose team also gained promotion.
It is hoped the tournament for the Frank Weston Trophy will be held on Sunday, October 5, at 10am. This is to be confirmed.
The winter league matches start on September 28, and club members are reminded that there will only be one court available on match days.