Bowlers go national
Beccles Bowls Club ladies progressed to the last 16 of the national Vivienne Trophy when they beat Shotford by three shots.A 16-shot win by Peggy Miller's rink was the foundation of the result, with Anne Ward's rink recording a draw and the other two rinks managing to keep the deficits within manageable margins.
Beccles Bowls Club ladies progressed to the last 16 of the national Vivienne Trophy when they beat Shotford by three shots.
A 16-shot win by Peggy Miller's rink was the foundation of the result, with Anne Ward's rink recording a draw and the other two rinks managing to keep the deficits within manageable margins.
The match score was 74-71 and Beccles will now play Gallow (Fakenham).
Rink scores: Home, J Squire, R Clarke, M Rayner and A Meadows 13, J Sparrow 21. J Batley, C Cutts, P Mulcairn and P Miller 29, E Cummins 13.
You may also want to watch:
Away, A Benns, R Winterton, C Gill and J Fennell 15, B Matthews 20. J Webster, M Richards, E Pretty and A Ward 17, S Chimes 17.
Beccles players lost out in two area finals of the national competitions on Wednesday at Norfolk Bowing Club.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 2 Plans for investment and upgraded facilities at Beccles Quay
- 3 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 4 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 5 Diversions in place as water main works take place in Loddon
- 6 Special woodland event to remember those we have lost
- 7 Stunning swan photo shot in Norfolk gains national recognition
- 8 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 9 Homelessness charity celebrating 10 years of transforming lives
- 10 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
Ian and John Catchpole lost to Tim Stone from Acle and in the Mixed Fours, Joy Squire, Tracey Topple, Mark Todd and Mark Cole suffered a similar fate against Tony Dunton's four from Acle.
However, Beccles are certain to have a representative in the men's national under-25 finals as both Ian Catchpole and Ben Harber have reached the area final. This is due to be played at County Arts on Thursday, January 31.
In the Mixed County League on Sunday, Beccles A collected maximum points against Felixstowe winning by 129 shots to 60.
Rink scores: Home, M Wright, T Topple, P Clarke and M Cole 31, D Cooper 17. M Moore, J Plant, I Catchpole and M Todd 35, D Beatton 15.
Away, L Catchpole, D Gaze, C Moore and J Catchpole 28, B Cousins 14, J Squire, M Rayner, G Catchpole and S Cook 35, C Thirkettle 14.
The B team also had a convincing win over Ipswich A by 97-61 for a six-point haul.
Rink scores: Home, P Mulcairn, D Pye, G Mulcairn and N Plant 35, J Crane 11. V Clarke, R Adams, G Smith and J Knights 20, N Wright 21. Away, K Clarke, N Rutherford, T Wright and T Ridley 22, P Morley 14, N Marwood, J Monk, K Monk and D Francis 20.