Bowy test for sailors
AN extremely gusty south-westerly pummelled Beccles ASC sailors last Saturday.It resulted in dramatic sailing conditions at times for the 13 boats who braved the start of Series A on the Waveney.
AN extremely gusty south-westerly pummelled Beccles ASC sailors last Saturday.
It resulted in dramatic sailing conditions at times for the 13 boats who braved the start of Series A on the Waveney.
The pursuit race in particular saw casualties despite the efforts of OOD Richard Salisbury in trying to avoid gybes round the marks. Ent crews of Mutley II and Polyarchy felt the water temperature on the run past the clubhouse.
Kevin and Jo Edwards, in their Enterprise Sharkie, though just managed to keep control and pass Rory Kelsey and Joe Brackenbury in their Norfolk Tankard just before the 30 minutes to win.
You may also want to watch:
Kevin and Jo also stayed focused to take the first race of the Coronation Cup, finishing three minutes before the next boat Mutley II who had to settle for third on handicap.
The Topper fleet saw mixed fortunes this week. With Bob Ashcroft having to retire in the first race, Milo Phillips dominated in Windsinger battling to the line in first position.
- 1 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 2 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 3 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 4 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 5 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 6 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 9 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
- 10 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
In the second race though Bob put in an incredible display with both he and Milo only seconds apart for the entire race and got his just reward with his first win this year, to much applause from the Suffolk bank spectators. Matthew Deller also had a great start to his Will Judge Trophy campaign in his Laser Hellraiser with a convincing win over Peter Bray this week in the monosail challenge.
Results - Clubhouse Trophy: 1 Sharkie (K and J Edwards), 2 CBR (C Abbott), 3 Tankard (R Kelsey and J Brackenbury). Coronation Cup: 1 Sharkie, 2 Tankard, 3 Mutley II. Mirror One Trophy (race one): 1 Windsinger (M Phillips), 2 Swift Tern (S Baylis), 3 Club Topper 1 (P Edwards).
Mirror One Trophy (race two): 1 Piranha (B Ashcroft), 2 Windsinger, 3 Club Topper 1. Bacchante Trophy: 1 Tankard, 2 Shanderlee (T Haycock and J Thomas).
Will Judge Trophy: 1 Hellraiser (M Deller), 2 Rhino (P Bray), 3 PDQ (M Langston) Ret.