Bowy test for sailors
AN extremely gusty south-westerly pummelled Beccles ASC sailors last Saturday.It resulted in dramatic sailing conditions at times for the 13 boats who braved the start of Series A on the Waveney.
AN extremely gusty south-westerly pummelled Beccles ASC sailors last Saturday.
It resulted in dramatic sailing conditions at times for the 13 boats who braved the start of Series A on the Waveney.
The pursuit race in particular saw casualties despite the efforts of OOD Richard Salisbury in trying to avoid gybes round the marks. Ent crews of Mutley II and Polyarchy felt the water temperature on the run past the clubhouse.
Kevin and Jo Edwards, in their Enterprise Sharkie, though just managed to keep control and pass Rory Kelsey and Joe Brackenbury in their Norfolk Tankard just before the 30 minutes to win.
Kevin and Jo also stayed focused to take the first race of the Coronation Cup, finishing three minutes before the next boat Mutley II who had to settle for third on handicap.
The Topper fleet saw mixed fortunes this week. With Bob Ashcroft having to retire in the first race, Milo Phillips dominated in Windsinger battling to the line in first position.
- 1 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 2 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 3 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 4 Seven Suffolk villages that have received national recognition
- 5 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 6 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
- 7 All of the Suffolk streets that won the People's Postcode Lottery in June
- 8 Theatre group set for tour of outdoor venues with latest performances
- 9 Suffolk records sunniest June in nearly 50 years
- 10 Organisers hail success as 'great' hospital fete makes welcome return
In the second race though Bob put in an incredible display with both he and Milo only seconds apart for the entire race and got his just reward with his first win this year, to much applause from the Suffolk bank spectators. Matthew Deller also had a great start to his Will Judge Trophy campaign in his Laser Hellraiser with a convincing win over Peter Bray this week in the monosail challenge.
Results - Clubhouse Trophy: 1 Sharkie (K and J Edwards), 2 CBR (C Abbott), 3 Tankard (R Kelsey and J Brackenbury). Coronation Cup: 1 Sharkie, 2 Tankard, 3 Mutley II. Mirror One Trophy (race one): 1 Windsinger (M Phillips), 2 Swift Tern (S Baylis), 3 Club Topper 1 (P Edwards).
Mirror One Trophy (race two): 1 Piranha (B Ashcroft), 2 Windsinger, 3 Club Topper 1. Bacchante Trophy: 1 Tankard, 2 Shanderlee (T Haycock and J Thomas).
Will Judge Trophy: 1 Hellraiser (M Deller), 2 Rhino (P Bray), 3 PDQ (M Langston) Ret.