Bungay again fail to hold onto lead

Bungay Town 1, Sprowston Athletic 1

A GOAL with virtually the last kick of the game robbed Bungay of their second Anglian Combination Division One win of the season at the Maltings Meadow on Saturday.

The visitors certainly deserved something from the game, but it was a cruel finale for the Black Dogs, who had defended well after taking the lead with a great strike from Dale Gowing — his first for the club.

It was their third successive draw, and for the sixth time in seven games this season they were pegged back after taking the lead and have won only one of those. Hanging on to a lead is something the predominantly young side must work on, though this time they came very close.

Shaun Whiteman got in an early header from a corner but it was off target, then Charlie Jones, on his debut, won a ball in front of the keeper – but a defender was on hand to clear.

The visitors should have taken the lead when a player was given a free header from a corner, but it just cleared the bar. As Bungay pressed forward Kevin Riches got in a couple of good runs and crosses, but they came to nothing.

In another home attack Russell Tuffs and Craig Hunting had efforts blocked following a cross from Dan Andrew, and at the other end Gary Foyster came off his line to block a forward as he cut in from the left.

Most Read

The Sprowston keeper held a good drive from Andrew at the second attempt, but the visitors in turn had two good chances as a forward latched on to a back pass but fired wide and then Gowing was in the right place to head an in-swinging cross off the line.

Three minutes into the second half Bungay conceded a penalty as Ainsley Baynes was judged to have handled, but Lee Campbell put the spot kick over the bar.

As the Black Dogs worked to make good of the let-off, Andrew twice almost got on to the end of good through balls. At the other end Foyster did well to grab the ball at the feet on an on-rushing forward, before Jones worked a good opening for himself only to fire wide.

Baynes got in a good shot on the turn which the keeper turned over the bar.

Bungay broke the deadlock in the 59th minute. Efforts from Andrew and Jones were blocked by the defence before the ball fell to Gowing 20 yards out, and he drilled a great shot into the far top corner of the net.

Foyster blocked another effort as the visitors worked to get on terms, and with two minutes left a good effort struck the post with Foyster beaten.

Andrew broke clear for Bungay but his second touch let him down and the keeper was able to claim the ball.

Just as it looked as if the game was won Bungay conceded a free-kick on the left three minutes into time added on. Simon Brighton came in on the blind side of the defence to score from close range, leaving the home team stunned.

Team: G Foyster, M Shipley, C Hunting, S Whiteman, M Holmes, A Baynes, K Riches, R Tuffs (A Lowe), D Gowing (G Perez-hunt), D Andrew, C Jones.

Tomorrow, Bungay turn their attention to the Suffolk Senior Cup as they entertain Coplestonians from the Ipswich and Suffolk League (2.15pm).

Bungay A entertain Spexhall Reserves (2.30pm).