Bungay are sunk by late goals

Tim Clarke, right.

Tim Clarke, right. - Credit: Nick Butcher

Waveney 3 Bungay Town 1

Managerless Bungay gave as good as they got against Anglian Combination Division One leaders Waveney before falling to two late goals on Saturday.

They were slightly unfortunate not to get something from the game, their first since manager Tim Clarke resigned.

At 1-1 they had chances to go ahead, and it was generally a good team performance which would have encouraged anyone looking to take on the squad.

Kevin Riches put a header just over the bar from Craig Hunting’s free kick in the first minute and at the other end Hunting made a timely interception to cut out a threat from the home side.

The Black Dogs went close in the 25th minute when a shot from Lee Houghton brought a fine save down at the near post from the home keeper.

Waveney broke immediately and James Shaw made an equally good save, coming from his line to block a shot from Bradley Hough when he broke clear.

Most Read

The home side went ahead in the 32nd minute as Hough won the ball wide on the right and took two steps forward before curling a shot inside the far post.

But Bungay were on terms nine minutes later as a ball found Dom Mirner on the left. His lob came back off the bar but Aiden Lowe was on hand to score from the rebound.

Within 30 seconds of the restart Lowe forced a save from the keeper with an angled shot, before Waveney were off target with a couple of efforts. Stu Campbell made a great block to thwart Hough.

A long range effort form the home side skidded narrowly wide and then Shaw made a superb save from a fiercely-struck shot, diverting it on to a post. The ball ran along the goal-line with no one on hand to score.

Waveney struck a post with a header, but with six minutes left a good build-up by Bungay created a chance, but Lowe was crowded out in the act of shooting.

And Waveney took play to the other end to regain the lead as Sam Shepherd scored at the far post.

Two minutes later it was 3-1 as Kevin Gowing beat the offside trap to take the ball round Shaw to score.

Before the end Shaw made another brave save in a one-on-one situation, and Bungay finished with 10 men as Houghton went off with a dislocated shoulder.

Team: Shaw, Mcfarlane (Baynes), Hunting, J Riches, Campbell, Mirner, K Riches, McFadden (Goodwin-Wright), Houghton, Lowe, Wilby Spears).

Tomorrow Bungay visit Wymondham Town in a league game with a 2pm kick-off.