Bungay battlers impress against leaders

Wells Town 4, Bungay Town 2

BUNGAY again earned no reward for a battling performance against the odds on Saturday, as they were beaten by the leaders of Anglian Combination Division One.

With several regular players unavailable, the makeshift Bungay side contributed greatly to an entertaining game, played in difficult conditions on a pitch that became increasingly slippery.

The greater strength and decisive finishing of the Seasiders were enough to secure the points, but there were many positive features from the Black Dogs’ performance to encourage manager Kevin Gook.

Danny Wilby was again excellent in the centre of midfield, Dan Andrews looked a constant threat up front and Joe McDonald was rewarded for a battling performance on the right wing with a second-half goal.

Debutant Bungay keeper Jason Downing also had a fine game, including a penalty save, and couldn’t be faulted for any of the home goals.

Wells started the stronger, and Matt Lowe had to be alert to clear a cross from Dan Grocott. Downing then saved well from Scott Grey, before Grocott fired a shot from the edge of the area just over the bar.

Most Read

Joe Harrison was a threat for Wells on the right wing, and his low cross after 21 minutes just evaded the on-rushing forwards, and Bungay were scramble the ball clear.

Bungay gradually began to gain a foothold, with Wilby and Kevin Goldsmith, on his debut, in midfield seeing more of the ball.

The Black Dogs almost took the lead after 27 minutes when Andrews’ through-ball put James Youngman in on goal, but the keeper did well to save his shot.

Wells broke the deadlock after 36 minutes, Harrison cutting in from the wing to fire a low shot past Downing from the edge of the area.

However, Bungay continued to press, and got a deserved equaliser two minutes before half-time when Andrews showed great composure to finish well under pressure from two defenders.

Wells started the second half in determined fashion and dominated possession. Downing did well to parry a shot from Scott Grey, Grocott fired wide when well placed, then Downing pulled off an excellent save.

In the end the pressure told, and on the hour the Seasiders regained the lead, Kent Cooper volleying home from a corner.

Four minutes later it was 3-1, as Grocott slid in to score from close range from a right-wing cross.

Bungay looked on the ropes, but they responded well. Matt Lowe’s long ball just evaded Andrews. Then, after 70 minutes, Lowe again found McDonald in space, and he cut inside and finished well.

The Black Dogs were on top and twice went close to an equaliser, as first Youngman’s shot was saved, then Matt Lowe’s long-range shot forced the keeper in to a scrambling save.

Wells clinched the points with a fourth goal 15 minutes from time, as Goldsmith’s challenge in the box conceded a penalty.

Downing saved Grey’s spot-kick, but the forward reacted quickly and fired home the rebound.

Youngman almost pulled a goal back just before the end. His curling shot beat the keeper but went just past a post.

Bungay: J Downing, M Lowe, S Batt, S Whiteman, D Lowe, D Wilby, K Goldsmith, J Youngman, J McDonald, D Scriven (G Gook), D Andrews.

Tomorrow, Bungay entertain Stalham (2.30pm). The Reserves visit Thetford Rovers.