Bungay Black Dog runners out in force at Wymondham New Year’s Day race
- Credit: Archant
A bumper contingent of 35 Bungay Black Dog Running Club members shrugged off the revelry of their New Year’s Eve celebrations to welcome in 2018 at Wymondham Athletic Club’s annual 10k New Year’s Day race.
Under the host club’s capable administration and top class marshalling, the race took place over its usual scenic and undulating route around the lanes of the market town, enjoying near perfect conditions for the 635 runners who turned out.
First Black Dog home in 44th place overall was Jon Wiles in a time of 40 minutes and 55 seconds, ahead of Jason Hurst (65th in 42.26) and Samantha Ismail-Epps (90th in 44.04).
The other Black Dog results were: 114 Sean O’Loughlin 45.00, 138 Tom Pullinger 46.20, 149 Richard Crossland 46.35, 158 Simon Sparkes 47.06, 159 Richard Dye 47.07, 173 Damian Ashcroft 47.41, 184 Mik Carr 48.20, 190 Roland Shaw 48.29, 205 Emma Meiring 49.19, 228 Jo Walker 50.20, 229 Sarah Maidment 50.21, 335 David Hupton 54.32, 357 Samantha Stedman-Jones 55.16, 370 Karen Gedge 55.47, 400 Martyn Woodgate 56.55, 402 Ken Hurst 57.00, 415 Victoria Pullinger 57.38, 416 Andy Kirk 57.40, 423 Graham Sampson 57.58, 426 Steve Warman 58.19, 452 Sarah Sparkes 59.26, 459 Garrick Fox 59.53, 495 Rachel Hirst 1:02.19, 515 Malcolm Stedman-Jones 1:03.48, 539 Douglas Gladwin 1:06.04, 553 Harpeet Thandi 1:07.15, 559 Alice Kirk 1:08.13, 606 Rachel Allen 1:12.46, 610 Emma Youngman 1:13.24, 618 Penny Pullinger 1:15.21, 622 Jennie Craig 1:16.17, 623 Toby Craig 1:16.18.
The race always attracts a good mix of local runners and those who have come from further afield.
This year the winners came all the way from New Mexico as Ben Fletcher and girlfriend, Ruth Senior, over to visit family, took the overall honours. It is the second time they have performed this feat, following up their double success in 2013.
Fletcher came home in first place in 31:59 - a minute ahead of his nearest rival (and girlfriend’s brother), James Senior of City of Norwich AC in 32:59.
- 1 Heavy delays on major Norfolk road after crash
- 2 New Asian restaurant already fully booked a week after opening
- 3 Festival of Suffolk torch relay reaches Waveney
- 4 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 5 Suffolk school transforms wasted space into nature garden
- 6 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 7 Suffolk drivers urged to use caution in Quiet Lanes amid growing scheme
- 8 'A very special weekend' - Bungay set for 'happy and glorious' Jubilee
- 9 Popular band preparing to celebrate best of British music in Beccles
- 10 F1 star jumps out of plane over Suffolk town
George Gay was third overall on 33:41.
Ruth Senior was first female in an impressive time of 38:17 with Charlotte Neal of North Norfolk Beach Runners the runner-up in 40:11. Rowenna Leary of Norfolk Gazelles was third female in 41:40. Matt Pyatt (Ryston Runners) was first in the 40-44 category in 34:32.