Bungay Bowls Club reflect on season
- Credit: Archant
Members of Bungay Bowls Club attended their annual meeting.
The club played 137 competitive games and three friendlies in 2014.
Pride of place went to club captain Roger Bullen and vice-captain David Sheppard, who picked teams to win the Suffolk County, Bowls England, Bert Edwards Cup for the first time in 24 years.
Sunshine League captain Derek Hinsley picked up more silverware as he led the team to the Division One title on the back of winning Division Two the previous season.
The two teams that gained promotion the previous season managed to keep their promoted status. Ian Gosling’s Benacre League Division One team had to rely on Blundeston beating Hales in their last game while new Beccles A team captain, Keith Patrick, had a steady season to finish just two points behind the third team. The B team had an enjoyable season in Division Two under Gilly Angus.
You may also want to watch:
Keith also captained the men’s triples league team in Division One and again finished two points shy of third place. The B team captained by Les Knowles also finished fourth.
Peter Rix captained the Halesworth League A team in Division One and the team’s season hinged on their away game at title rivals Thurlton. The B team with novice captain Jim Caplin finished fifth in Division Two.
- 1 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 2 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 3 Creator of mystery Covehithe statue reveals where it went
- 4 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 5 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 6 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 7 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 8 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 9 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 10 New brewery restaurant opens for tapas nights, afternoon tea and more
For 2015 the club are hoping to have a second team in the Sunshine League and have re-entered the Suffolk County Quinton Bowl competition. The club has also extended their shirt deal with Waveney Windows.
Officials elected: New life member, Barbara Wortley; chairman and vice-captain, David Sheppard; vice-chairman, press officer and tournament co-organiser, Dominic Belisario; secretary and tournament co-organiser, Ian Gosling; treasurer and catering, Judy Gosling; janitor, Gilly Angus; benevolent warden, Stella Minns; captain, Roger Bullen; team captains, mens BE A, Keith Patrick; mens BE B, Les Knowles; Beccles A, Bob Wright; Beccles B and Sunshine B, Gilly Angus; Halesworth A, Peter Rix; Halesworth B, Jim Caplin; Sunshine A, Derek Hinsley. general committee: Alan Davies, James Gosling, Peter Taylor and Arnold King.
The club also has a new grounds team of Terry Buck, Richard Tuthill, Peter Taylor and Arnold King.
Further details can be seen at www.bungaybowlsclub.co.uk.