Bungay denied reward their efforts deserved

Sprowston Athletic 2, Bungay Town 1

THE Black Dogs were unfortunate to come away from their first Anglian Combination Division One game of 2011 on Saturday with nothing to show from an encouraging performance.

They deserved some reward against a side unbeaten in 10 games. They led at the interval through a Kevin Riches header, and although Sprowston were more determined in the second half, Bungay ended the game on the attack seeking the equaliser that would have done them full justice.

Dale Smith returned to the defence to form an effective partnership with Shaun Whiteman. Tom Cole and Russell Tuffs gave as good as they got in midfield, and Charlie Jones did some hard running up front to make things happen.

With more team performances like this, the results must come soon.

After an uneventful opening 10 minutes Bungay put together a good move which led to Riches firing a low 20-yard effort just wide. Sprowston applied pressure without working a serious opening, and it was Riches who tested the keeper at the other end after another determined Bungay build-up, before he was in position at the other end to head away a dangerous floating cross.

Good work down the left by Dan Lowe set up another shooting chance for Riches, who saw his effort blocked, and then a good header-on by Jones saw the keeper hold another Riches’ shot at the second attempt.

Most Read

Finally the goal the Black Dogs threatened came two minutes from the interval.

Dan Lowe got away down the left and his pin-point cross set up Riches to thump home a header that gave the keeper no chance. Before the interval the home goal somehow survived a scramble in the six-yard box.

Cole fired narrowly wide at the start of the second half, and later Jones intercepted a back-pass but was forced wide, Dan Andrews unable to take advantage of his cut-back.

The Black Dogs needed to survive for 20 minutes, but the home side equalised in the 52nd minute. A move down the right saw Ben Read weave his way in, and with no defender able to get in an effective tackle, he beat Gary Foyster at his near post.

The goal perked up the home side and after Read had struck the bar with Foyster beaten, they took the lead in the 68th minute as a free-kick was intercepted and Simon Brighton was played in to beat Foyster from 10 yards. The goals were Sprowston’s only two efforts on target.

Dan Shimmon, Ash Ling and James Youngman came on for Bungay to provide fresh legs. Andrews almost beat the keeper to Smith’s through-ball and Smith had a close-range shot beaten out by the keeper. From the corner, Andrews headed narrowly wide, before the keeper saved at Youngman’s feet.

Team: G Foyster, S Batt, D Smith, S Whiteman, D Lowe, K Riches, R Tuffs, T Cole (J Youngman), A Lowe (D Shimmon), D Andrews, C Jones (A Ling).

Tomorrow Bungay entertain Wymondham Town, 2.30pm.