Bungay impress in first half

Bradenham Wanderers 5,Bungay Town 1

ANYONE seeing only the first half of this game might have assumed Bungay were the top-four side and Bradenham the Anglian Combination Division One strugglers.

The Black Dogs dominated proceedings, got a fine equaliser after Wanderers had gone ahead much against the run of play, and generally caused the home defence all sorts of problems with their attacking play.

Front men James Youngman and Russell Tuffs particularly linked up well.

But after Bradenham had regained the lead three minutes into the second half the Bungay challenge was unable to get back on track and Wanderers took their chances clinically – although the 5-1 scoreline did no justices to Bungay’s efforts.

You may also want to watch:

With Danny Wilby again influential in midfield, Bungay started encouragingly and got in the first effort on target after seven minutes as Dan Shimmon drove in a low free-kick which the keeper took well.

Stuart Campbell forced a corner with some good play, and from Shimmon’s flag-kick Shaun Whiteman was unlucky to see his goalbound header cleared off the line with the keeper beaten.

Most Read

Shortly afterwards Youngman was put clear, but his composure let him down as the keeper advanced and his effort was too high.

Bradenham’s first effort was a mishit shot from 20 yards in the 18th minute which did not trouble Gary Foyster. And as Bungay continued to control play Youngman got in a well-struck effort that the keeper got his body behind, before being caught just offside from a nod-on by Tuffs.

Wanderers were struggling, but completely against the run of play they took the lead in the 26th minute as Ricky Forder got clear down the left and cut in to beat Foyster with a low drive.

Bungay were deservedly level seven minutes later as Dan Lowe won the ball well and put Youngman away down the left. His cross from the by-line was perfect for Tuffs to head firmly past the keeper.

Bradenham came out in a much more determined fashion for the second half and were ahead again in the 48th minute as Phil King headed home a left-wing corner.

Soon after, another good move saw a forward scoop the ball over the bar.

Foyster took a fierce volley well and at this stage Bungay were struggling to get back into the game. But they steadied themselves and again played well in midfield without being able to create any more clear-cut chances.

Bradenham got a third in the 69th minute as Forder was again in position at the far post to head home a right-wing cross.

But Bungay went close immediately after as Joe McDonald’s low cross was booted for a corner as substitute Charlie Jones closed in for the kill.

Bradenham’s fourth came in the 76th minute as Chris Hancy, unmarked, drove a low shot into the far corner. Wanderers completed the scoring with five minutes left as Ryan Seabright converted from close range.

Soon after he hit the top of the bar. But Bungay kept going and just before the end Tuffs forced the keeper to turn a free-kick over the bar.

Team: G Foyster, M Lowe, S Batt, S Whiteman, D Lowe, J McDonald, D Wilby, D Shimmon, S Campbell (G Gook), R Tuffs, J Youngman (C Jones).

Tomorrow Bungay visit Stalham, and on Tuesday evening entertain Corton (7.30pm). Bungay Reserves entertain Hoveton Wherrymen tomorrow (2.30pm).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter