Bungay Ladies record emphatic home win


- Credit: Archant

Bungay Ladies’ penultimate game of the season was played in midweek under the lights at Malting’s Meadow.

Having taken all three points with a single goal in their previous meeting Aylsham started the match well,

But it was Bungay opened the scoring on seven minutes when midfielder Teo Ilie played the ball to striker Stef Cool, whose shot was parried by the Aylsham keeper. But Bungay midfielder Laura Holden was there to collect and guide the ball into the back of the net.

Bungay continued to dominate possession but on 13 minutes Aylsham hit a shot from range and the ball looped high over makeshift keeper Lacey Andrews to make the score 1-1.

In the last minute of the half Bungay winger Lauren Purling ran through on the Aylsham goal but her shot was just wide.

Bungay started the second half knowing that the game was there for the taking, having dominated most of the possession.

And three minutes in a Becky Goffin clearance saw Ilie pass the ball through to Holden whose shot tested the Aylsham keeper once again.

Most Read

The ball was soon back into Bungay’s half though and Leach, who had gone into the Bungay goal for the second half, got up well to make a fingertip save on 51 minutes. Then on 54 minutes Holden made a solo run form the midfield, rounding several Aylsham players before slotting the ball into the back of the net.

Bungay were enjoying good spells of possession again and another goal came when Purling managed to chip the ball over the onrushing Aylsham keeper in the 57th minute to make it 3-1 to the home side. Bungay were now looking to get the ball to Andrews who had come out of goal and back to her normal position of striker for the second half.

But still Aylsham weren’t giving up and Bungay were having to defend well. Purling got forward again however and this time her header went just wide.

Then another header from Ellie Froud went just over the bar.

Five minutes from time Froud hit another shot from range, this time the keeper parrying the ball out for a Bungay corner.

And as the match reached it’s conclusion Bungay were finishing on top, Andrews went one-on-one with the keeper and managed to go round her, with the ball bobbling into the back of the net to round off the scoring.