Bungay Ladies the first to beat leaders this season

Bungay Town Ladies in their new second strip, sponsored by MKM Building Supplies. Photo: Graham Pur

Bungay Town Ladies in their new second strip, sponsored by MKM Building Supplies. Photo: Graham Purling - Credit: Archant

Bungay went into their game knowing that their opposition, current league leaders Thorpe had not dropped any points all season, winning every game.

Thorpe took the game to Bungay despite the breaks that Bungay were getting and it was a real battle in midfield.

Then 19 minutes in, another break forward by Bungay saw Nicky Hazell’s well-timed pass find Laura Holden whose shot from a central position just outside the 18-yard box sailed into the back of the net.

Bungay were starting to see more of the ball, with their 1-0 lead pushing them on and the forward attacks were coming thick and fast as the half came to an end.

On 45 minutes a free-kick taken by Hazell fell to winger Lauren Purling who fired the ball home to make it 2-0.

Thorpe finished the half with a flurry and got on the scoresheet just before the interval.

Both teams started the second half strongly. Three minutes in, another Hazell shot hit the bar and flew up and over the goal.

Most Read

Bungay were getting the ball forward well and on 55 minutes striker Stef Cool sent a ball through to Hazell whose shot was smothered by the Thorpe goalkeeper, but the ball came free and Cool shot high over the bar.

Another Bungay break on 58 minutes saw Hazell’s shot from distance hit the post, but Holden collected the rebound and netted her second of the afternoon.

Thorpe were still in the game and were battling to get the ball forward.

But after 66 minutes another break forward by the home side saw Hazell finally find the back of the net, to make it 4-1 to Bungay.

Ten minutes later another shot from distance by Bungay’s Lauren Purling was dramatically saved one-handed by Thorpe’s agile goalkeeper who got down low to push the ball wide.

Thorpe were still pushing forward in numbers and had not given up and managed to fire a shot at keeper Ruth Smart which was forced out of her hands but cleared from danger by centre back Jess Keeling. In a final flourish by Thorpe, Bungay’s keeper was forced to make a one-handed save and Bungay held on until the final whistle, celebrating being the first side to beat the league leaders this season.