Bungay make extra player count as they hammer six goals
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham started with only 10 players as they crashed 6-0 at rampant Bungay on Sunday.
On 11 minutes it was Hannah Jones who opened the scoring with her first goal of the season for the home side.
Then on 20 minutes, with Fakenham struggling to get a hold of the ball, Bungay were dominating play and using the extra player to good effect to create plenty of chances.
With 25 minutes gone, winger Lauren Purling made a strong run forward down the right before pulling the ball back to the feet of Bungay striker Lacey Andrews whose shot went agonisingly over the bar. However, three minutes later a heavy challenge in the box on Andrews resulted in a penalty and Andrews herself stepped up to score to make it 2-0.
Then on 41 minutes an Andrews corner sailed into the box and Purling heading the ball goalwards and past the Fakenham keeper for 3-0.
You may also want to watch:
Seven minutes into the second half new signing Teo Ilie got onto the scoresheet before, a couple of minutes later, another Purling cross fell to Andrews but her shot was wide.
Left back Kelly Collins, Bungay’s captain, then found herself in space after a run up the left, but her shot was straight to the keeper.
- 1 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
- 2 Pub and restaurant group 'looking forward' to re-opening popular venues
- 3 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 4 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 5 Hunt continuing for man who drove at cyclist
- 6 'A long time coming' - gyms welcome people back for April 12 reopening
- 7 Homelessness charity set to reopen popular shop
- 8 Crash between car and scooter on busy Norfolk road
- 9 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 'This is not okay!' - Anger at waste dumped on village field
Tired legs were now appearing in the Fakenham team and on 65 minutes Collins broke forward again, sending a ball to Purling who netted her second of the afternoon for 4-0.
Not long after another Bungay attack saw Becky Goffin push forward up the right, her cross falling to Lacey Andrews whose shot was just wide of the far post.
With Bungay legs now tiring too, Fakenham found themselves through into Bungay’s half, but the resulting shot lacked power and was easily collected by Bungay’s keeper Ruth Smart.
With just five minutes remaining, Bungay winger Nicky Hazell fired off a shot from distance, hitting the top of the post. Again Fakenham broke forward, but their shot was once again comfortably saved by Smart.
Bungay continued to push forward in the final stages and a Jess Keeling through ball reached Andrews who ran through the Fakenham midfield and fired off a shot resulting in a further goal for Bungay and completing a comfortable 6-0 win.