Bungay out of cup
Bungay Town 2, Beccles Caxton 5BUNGAY Town's season ended on a disappointing note as they were well beaten 5-2 by Beccles Caxton in the semi-final of the Beccles Hospital Cup on Sunday.
Bungay Town 2, Beccles Caxton 5
BUNGAY Town's season ended on a disappointing note as they were well beaten 5-2 by Beccles Caxton in the semi-final of the Beccles Hospital Cup on Sunday.
With a side including only five regular first teamers and with several young players in the side, they were never quite able to match the Anglian Combination Division Two side, who clinched a final place with two late goals.
Caxton took the lead after 15 minutes, but Bungay equalised after 25 minutes with a great 20-yard strike from Billy Davis. But Caxton regained the lead five minutes before the interval as a forward took advantage of a rebound off a Bungay defender to drill the ball past Nathan Einecker.
You may also want to watch:
Two minutes into the second half they made it 3-1 with another well placed effort, and Einecker had to make a good blocking save to prevent a fourth.
The Black Dogs almost pulled one back following a good run and cross by Matt King but the keeper just managed to knock the ball away from Dan Lowe's challenge.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 4 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 5 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 6 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
- 9 Do you have rare East Anglian apples growing in your garden?
- 10 Can you help bring festive cheer to children in care this Christmas?
However, Bungay put themselves in with a chance with a 65th minute goal as former Bungay player Kevin Riches turned a cross from Lowe past his own keeper.
They briefly threatened an equaliser, but Caxton clinched it with a fourth goal in the 85th minute as the ball was slotted past the advancing Einecker and Sean Wightman was just unable to clear it off the line. In injury time Caxton twice hit the post before the Bugnay defence gave the ball away to set up Caxton's fifth.
Bungay: N Einecker, M King, C Hunting, S Payne, S Wightman, J McFarlane, C Asprey, B Davis (D Kubercek), S Batt (A Seamons), D Lowe, A Baynes.