Bungay out of cup
Bungay Town 2, Beccles Caxton 5BUNGAY Town's season ended on a disappointing note as they were well beaten 5-2 by Beccles Caxton in the semi-final of the Beccles Hospital Cup on Sunday.
Bungay Town 2, Beccles Caxton 5
BUNGAY Town's season ended on a disappointing note as they were well beaten 5-2 by Beccles Caxton in the semi-final of the Beccles Hospital Cup on Sunday.
With a side including only five regular first teamers and with several young players in the side, they were never quite able to match the Anglian Combination Division Two side, who clinched a final place with two late goals.
Caxton took the lead after 15 minutes, but Bungay equalised after 25 minutes with a great 20-yard strike from Billy Davis. But Caxton regained the lead five minutes before the interval as a forward took advantage of a rebound off a Bungay defender to drill the ball past Nathan Einecker.
You may also want to watch:
Two minutes into the second half they made it 3-1 with another well placed effort, and Einecker had to make a good blocking save to prevent a fourth.
The Black Dogs almost pulled one back following a good run and cross by Matt King but the keeper just managed to knock the ball away from Dan Lowe's challenge.
- 1 Man admits voyeurism after filming people in bathrooms with hidden cameras
- 2 Man was found dead in wooded area after battle with alcoholism, inquest hears
- 3 Mother’s ‘living hell’ after son dies despite 15 GP visits in under four months
- 4 Man arrested and cannabis seized as Kestrel team swoops on town
- 5 Town's post office to close within a month
- 6 Woman airlifted to hospital after crash
- 7 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 8 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 9 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 10 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
However, Bungay put themselves in with a chance with a 65th minute goal as former Bungay player Kevin Riches turned a cross from Lowe past his own keeper.
They briefly threatened an equaliser, but Caxton clinched it with a fourth goal in the 85th minute as the ball was slotted past the advancing Einecker and Sean Wightman was just unable to clear it off the line. In injury time Caxton twice hit the post before the Bugnay defence gave the ball away to set up Caxton's fifth.
Bungay: N Einecker, M King, C Hunting, S Payne, S Wightman, J McFarlane, C Asprey, B Davis (D Kubercek), S Batt (A Seamons), D Lowe, A Baynes.