Bungay’s long wait for victory goes on

The Black Dogs are still looking for their first win since August following a narrow 2-1 defeat at Horsford, the only side they have beaten so far this season.

The side gave a good account of themselves following the weather-induced three-week break, but were able to create many chances, and had only a late penalty to show for their efforts, with two second half strikes edging it for the home side.

With one fixture left in 2010, tomorrow’s home game against Long Stratton (2.30pm), Bungay must now look to a good second half of the season to pull themselves away from the relegation positions in the Anglian Combination Division One.

With a bare 11 players available, there was concern when Russell Tuffs was injured in a clash of heads as early as the fourth minute, but fortunately he was able to continue after lengthy treatment, and soon afterwards drove in a low free-kick, to which Aidan Lowe was just unable to get a diverting touch.

Horsford attacked down the left, only for a resulting low cross to elude everyone, and when Aidan Lowe found Dan Andrews down the left the striker cut in and fired an effort narrowly wide of the far post.

Generally Horsford had the better of the half, with Bungay, welcoming back Dan Lowe following a spell at Gorleston, defending their raids well.

The home side should have scored in the 21st minute when a forward fired wide from a good position, and squandered an even better chance in the 29th minute when Gary Foyster failed to hold a fierce free-kick but a forward scooped the loose ball over the bar from five yards. Shortly after Foyster came from his line to make a great block to prevent Horsford taking the lead.

Most Read

Early in the second half, after surviving Horsford pressure, Aidan Lowe put Andrews away down the left and he cut in to fire narrowly over the bar. But the hosts took the lead in the 54th minute as a swift move down the right set up the chance for Scott McKinney to tuck the ball past Foyster.

Soon after the keeper got his fingers to another free-kick to turn it for a corner, before Shaun Whiteman tested the home keeper with a well struck volley.

But it was 2-0 in the 65th minute when a corner to the far post was controlled by Darren Nichols, who comfortably scored with a close range shot.

The Black Dogs got a consolation with seven minutes left as Dan Lowe was felled in the box and Andrews drilled home the penalty for his seventh goal of the season.

Bungay: G Foyster, M Shipley, S Batt, D Lowe, S Whiteman, J Youngman, R Tuffs, T Cole, A Lowe, C Jones, D Andrews.

n Kevin Talbot, a local painter and decorator, is the latest businessman to support Bungay Town.

“As an ex player for both Bungay and Ditchingham over many years it seemed a great place to advertise because I know how many people visit the Maltings Meadow throughout the year,” he said. “This investment represents not only good advertising but also supports an excellent community facility at the same time – great value all round.”

Jon Fuller, Chairman of Bungay Town, added: “We believe that advertising with Bungay Town FC represents not only great value for your marketing spend but also helps maintain the Maltings Meadow as a place where everyone can come along and get some exercise.”