Bungay’s promotion hopes take a knock at Wells

Football. Picture: Antony Kelly.

Football. Picture: Antony Kelly. - Credit: Archant

Bungay’s promotion aspirations took a knock as they were beaten at Wells, despite taking the lead early in the second half.

It means their hopes of promotion back to senior football from Division Two of the Anglian Combination come down to one game – at promotion rivals Mulbarton tomorrow afternoon at 2.30pm. With Mulbarton drawing their game in hand at UEA on Wednesday the Black Dogs go into the fixture two points ahead of their rivals, meaning they need only to avoid defeat to clinch promotion. If Mulbarton win they will go up instead with Scole, who have already clinched the title.

The Black Dogs are hoping for another big following, similar to that which cheered them to victory at Sprowston on Easter Monday, to try to will them to the result they need.

On Tuesday evening, Bungay complete their season when they take on division three champions Waveney in the Junior Cup final at Bowthorpe (7.15pm).

At Wells, with a somewhat depleted team, Bungay won a corner in the first minute and Shaun Flint saw a shot beaten out by the home defence. At the other end Craig Hunting got in a great tackle to prevent a forward breaking clear, before Paul Hunter, in his first game since January because of injury, struck low free-kick narrowly wide. James Barnes and John Riches had shots well saved by the keeper in another attack, but Rob Howes had to make a fine save with his legs as Wells created a chance down the right.

The best chance of the half came in the 37th minute when Connor Excell brought a great save from the keeper but turned the loose ball over the bar from inside the six-yard box.

The breakthrough came in the 57th minute as Barnes played the ball forward for Flint to run on and lob the keeper from the edge of the area for his 31st goal of the season.

Most Read

Barnes headed narrowly wide from Hunting’s free-kick soon after, but just when the Black Dogs seemed in control the home wide equalised with a scruffy goal in the 70th minute. The defence made a hash of clearing the ball following a corner and the ball was prodded goalwards, with the linesman judging it had gone in before Shaun Whiteman booted it clear.

Flint went close with a reflex header but the home side got their noses in front with 13 minutes left as Bungay failed to clear a corner properly and a forward rifled the ball home. Try as thy might, Bungay were unable to produce an equaliser and before the end Howes had to make another fine save to prevent a third Wells goal.

Bungay: R Howes, P Hunter, C Hunting, A Hammersley, S Whiteman, C Excell (N Ling), N Causton (T Baynes), J Riches (B Wilson), K Riches, J Barnes, S Flint.