Bungay slump to surprise home defeat


- Credit: Archant

Bungay Town 0 Holt United 3

The Black Dogs slumped to a surprise defeat by lowly Holt at Maltings Meadow on Saturday in their final game of 2015.

Three first-half goals were their downfall and although they completely dominated the second half they were unable to create many clear-cut chances against a resolute Holt defence.

It was a disappointing end to the first half of the season for Bungay on their return to the Anglian Combination Division One, but they should still be satisfied with their overall performance.

Following promotion they are currently in the top three in Division One and although they have played more games than the teams around them, they have adapted well and can look forward positively to the New Year.

On Saturday they gave a debut to 16-year-old Ben Fowkes, signed from Lowestoft Town, but he had few chances to show his capabilities as the visitors scored twice in a four-minute spell. In the 14th minute Jacob Doy was put clear and he took the ball on to beat the advancing Rob Howes.

Four minutes later it was Doy again, scoring from two yards as Bungay failed to clear a free-kick.

Most Read

Fowkes fired one effort narrowly over the bar from 20 yards as Bungay retaliated and John Riches tested the keeper with another long-range effort. But five minutes before half-time Holt made it 3-0 as the defence again failed to clear from a throw-in and Lee Clarke converted the loose ball.

Dom Mirner put a free-kick straight into the keeper’s arms, Kevin Riches headed a corner straight at the keeper when well placed, and Shaun Whiteman put another header wide before half-time.

Whiteman had another chance early in the second half but the high-bouncing ball beat him before he drilled in a fine 30-yarder which the keeper did well to turn over the bar. As Bungay dominated Ryan McFadden put Fowkes clear but his lob over the keeper was wide. Soon after the keeper blocked another shot from Fowkes.

With 13 minutes left Mirner put another chance over the bar and two Kevin Riches headers failed to alter the score. The nearest Bungay came was a lob from Nathan Causton which hit the angle of post and bar and was cleared.

Team: Howes, Causton, Hunting, Whiteman, McFadden (Perrin), Spear, K Riches, J Riches, D Mirner, Bone (J Mirner), Fowkes (Macfarlane).

Bungay’s next game is at home to Hindringham on January 2 at 2pm.

Meanwhile, Beccles Town drew 1-1 away to Poringland Wanderers.