Bungay Town 2 Easton 1: Flint scores late winner before receiving second yellow card
- Credit: Archant
The Black Dogs came from behind on Saturday to be the first team to inflict league defeat on Easton this season.
In an entertaining game the first half was fairly even but Bungay dominated for much of the second and the winner from Shaun Flint 10 minutes from time was deserved.
The only thing to mar a good afternoon for the home side was the sending off of Flint shortly after his goal.
The hard-working Ash Canham put the first chance of the game over the bar from a good position after a good move involving John Riches and Darryl Wigger. And from the goal-kick George Crowe found space out on the right to beat Tom Wickham with a well judged lob to put Easton ahead. Soon after Crowe got to the left byline in a nimble run but Wickham was equal to the danger.
Riches had a half chance from a cross form the lively Wigger but his shot was deflected away and from another Wigger cross Canham collided with the keeper as he went for the chance.
You may also want to watch:
Wigger picked up an injury soon after and was replaced by Flint and Bungay were level in the 36th minute. Riches saw a header headed away for a corner and from his flag kick Whiteman headed back across goal for Ryan Cook to stab home from close range.
Bungay were now on top but had a let off when the ball bobbled badly as Wickham went to clear and he and the defence did well to clear when Easton looked certain to take advantage.
- 1 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 2 Hundreds receive coronavirus vaccine at pharmacy
- 3 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 4 Anger from council over felled silver jubilee trees
- 5 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 6 'No black hole' - MP reveals two new vaccine centres in towns
- 7 Rapid Covid test sites planned for Bury St Edmunds and Lowestoft
- 8 'Manipulative and scheming' man jailed for child sex offences
- 9 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 10 Christmas trees light up care farm’s day as it helps vulnerable through dark times
Bungay were by far the better side after the interval and Flint turned to send an effort narrowly over the bar. Tom Hunter twice put powerful efforts just too high and Craig Hunting’s header from a corner met the same fate. But Bungay were lucky to survive when an Easton forward headed across goal for another forward to head an even easier chance wide.
But Bungay resumed their ascendancy, and in the 80th minute Riches did well to force his way to the byline and cross for Flint to score with a firm downward header. Soon after Flint was dismissed for a second yellow card offence, but apart from one Easton lob which just cleared the bar, the home side held out comfortably for an important win.
Team: T Wickham, C Anderson (D Bensley), C Hunting, S Whiteman, K Caley (J Gill), J Knights, J Riches, R Cook, T Hunter, D Wigger (S Flint), A Canham.