Bungay Town 2 Easton 1: Flint scores late winner before receiving second yellow card
- Credit: Archant
The Black Dogs came from behind on Saturday to be the first team to inflict league defeat on Easton this season.
In an entertaining game the first half was fairly even but Bungay dominated for much of the second and the winner from Shaun Flint 10 minutes from time was deserved.
The only thing to mar a good afternoon for the home side was the sending off of Flint shortly after his goal.
The hard-working Ash Canham put the first chance of the game over the bar from a good position after a good move involving John Riches and Darryl Wigger. And from the goal-kick George Crowe found space out on the right to beat Tom Wickham with a well judged lob to put Easton ahead. Soon after Crowe got to the left byline in a nimble run but Wickham was equal to the danger.
Riches had a half chance from a cross form the lively Wigger but his shot was deflected away and from another Wigger cross Canham collided with the keeper as he went for the chance.
Wigger picked up an injury soon after and was replaced by Flint and Bungay were level in the 36th minute. Riches saw a header headed away for a corner and from his flag kick Whiteman headed back across goal for Ryan Cook to stab home from close range.
Bungay were now on top but had a let off when the ball bobbled badly as Wickham went to clear and he and the defence did well to clear when Easton looked certain to take advantage.
- 1 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 2 'Incredible turnout' as protesters demand River Waveney clean up
- 3 Traffic to be diverted with road temporarily closed for repair works
- 4 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 5 Celebration of food and drink gearing up for return this weekend
- 6 Chainsaws, drills and hedge trimmers stolen in farm burglary
- 7 'I keep selling out' - Mum-of-two dreams of fudge shop as business thrives
- 8 Where jubilee parties are taking place in Waveney
- 9 Fishing equipment stolen after thieves smash car window
- 10 Wanted woman arrested in Lowestoft
Bungay were by far the better side after the interval and Flint turned to send an effort narrowly over the bar. Tom Hunter twice put powerful efforts just too high and Craig Hunting’s header from a corner met the same fate. But Bungay were lucky to survive when an Easton forward headed across goal for another forward to head an even easier chance wide.
But Bungay resumed their ascendancy, and in the 80th minute Riches did well to force his way to the byline and cross for Flint to score with a firm downward header. Soon after Flint was dismissed for a second yellow card offence, but apart from one Easton lob which just cleared the bar, the home side held out comfortably for an important win.
Team: T Wickham, C Anderson (D Bensley), C Hunting, S Whiteman, K Caley (J Gill), J Knights, J Riches, R Cook, T Hunter, D Wigger (S Flint), A Canham.