Thetford Rovers 2 Bungay Town 1: Search for a win goes on for Black Dogs
- Credit: Archant
Bungay Town’s season has hit a worrying blip as they were beaten at Thetford Rovers on Saturday.
They have not won since October 13. This was their fourth game without a victory following three draws and it was generally a disappointing display against the type if team they would be expected to beat if they are to gain promotion from the Anglian Combination Division One.
It was exacerbated by what appeared to be a serious knee injury suffered by Ryan Cook.
Thetford took the game to Bungay from the start. Three long range efforts showed their intent, with Mark Sutton getting down well to one of them. For Bungay Ash Canham volleyed Tom Hunter’s cross narrowly over the bar, but it proved their one serious effort of the first half.
One Thetford shot came back off the post with Sutton beaten and Bungay had to defend desperately to block other efforts.
But the home side went ahead in the 43rd minute as they broke quickly from a Bungay corner and James Dean was at the far post to ram in a low cross from the right.
The Black Dogs were level immediately after the interval as the keeper could not hold Josh Knights’ low free-kick and Shaun Whiteman nipped in to score from the rebound.
- 1 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 2 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers need to know about this week
- 3 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 4 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 5 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 6 Estate agent hosting auction for air ambulance appeal
- 7 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
- 8 Appeal for more Suffolk blood donors to prevent stocks running low
- 9 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 10 All of the Suffolk streets that won the People's Postcode Lottery in June
They were expected to kick on from there and dominate, but though they were better in the second half they were unable to create any clear-cut chances. They did go close once when Knights’ free- kick found Dom Mirner but his shot on the turn went just wide.
Thetford regained the lead in the 62nd minute as Luke Woods won the ball 20 yard out and rifled a low drive past Sutton. The final ball was lacking for Bungay, though Shaun Flint had a header deflected for a corner, Knights had another effort turned away and finally Canham saw a free-kick bounce up on to the top of the bar.
Team: M Sutton, J Knights, J Weston (M Payne), R Cook (S Flint), S Whiteman, K Caley (S Flint), D Wigger, J Riches, R Cook (S Flint), T Hunter, D Mirner, A Canham (S Bensley).
Tomorrow Bungay entertain Yelverton, 2.30pm.