Watton United 2 Bungay Town 2: Hosts equalise with the final kick of the game

Ash Canham was missing for Bungay Town on Saturday Picture: SHAUN COLE

Ash Canham was missing for Bungay Town on Saturday Picture: SHAUN COLE - Credit: Archant

Bungay dropped two more valuable Anglian Combination Division One points as Watton equalised with literally the last kick of the game on Saturday.

The Black Dogs had twice taken the lead in a game spoilt by a strong wind and had chances to put the game to bed against a side they had trounced 8-0 at home earlier in the season.

Without strikers Ash Canham and Shaun Flint, Bungay started with Damon Bensley up front. Tom Hunter’s speed down the left worried the home side from the start and in one move with Thomas Daniels the latter’s cross was just too high for Dom Mirner at the far post.

Soon after Hunter cut in and fired into the side netting when a cross might have brought a better result.

But Hunter’s good work finally paid off in the 25th minute as Daniels again put him away down the left and this time his cross to the far post gave Mirner the chance to fire into the roof of the net from a narrow angle.

You may also want to watch:

However, Watton were level four minutes later as they beat the offside trap for Ty Bond to take the ball on to coolly beat the advancing Lewis Riches.

Bungay were producing more going forward, and the keeper grabbed another Hunter cross just ahead of Bensley, and a half-blocked effort from Mirner landed on top of the bar.

Most Read

The Black Dogs were ahead again in the first minute of the second half as Josh Knights’ floated cross to the far post saw Jamie Weston loop a header beyond the keeper into the top corner. The keeper made a fine save from Hunter soon afterwards, before Matt James, on as a substitute, somehow failed to connect with a Hunter cross through the six-yard box and another cross from Knights just eluded James.

For all their efforts Bungay could not find the clinching goal, and Watton were awarded a controversial free-kick 25 yards out in the fourth minute of added time. Craig Barton stepped up to curl a fine effort into the top corner, and there was no time to restart the game before the referee blew the final whistle. It means the Black Dogs have won only once in their last eight games.

Tomorrow Bungay entertain East Harling (2.30pm), in their last game before Christmas.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter