Bungay Town 2 Aylsham 1: Black Dogs get back to winning ways
- Credit: Archant
The Black Dogs recorded a deserved success on Saturday to end a run of five games without a win.
In a game with plenty of goalmouth action the margin would have been greater had they taken their chances, but it was a welcome three Anglian Combination Division One points against a side just below them in the table.
Josh Knights got in an early long range shot that was not far wide before the home side went ahead after only five minutes. A good passing move down the left ended with Ash Canham crossing for Dom Mirner to glance a neat near-post header in off the keeper.
Soon after Lewis Riches made a great save when an intended clearance cannoned off a colleague, leaving an Aylsham forward with a clear shot. And after Shaun Flint had forced the visiting keeper to save at his feet Riches made another point blank save to keep out a stinging shot.
But from the resulting corner Aylsham equalised as the ball was crossed to the far post where Jamie George had an easy chance.
You may also want to watch:
That was against the run of play and Bungay resumed their offensive, which saw Canham play Darrell Wigger in, but the keeper blocked his toe-poke. The hosts regained the lead in the 44th minute when John Riches found Canham down the right and he again proved the provider, finding Flint who took one touch before firing in low across the keeper.
At the start of the second half Canham again put Wigger clear, but again the keeper was equal to his effort. Soon after John Riches had to clear off the line in another attack.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 3 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 4 Tools stolen in spate of van break-ins
- 5 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 6 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 7 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 8 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 9 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 10 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
Matt James, who replaced Flint, soon tested the keeper, with Canham inevitably setting up the chance, but Aylsham went close when a cross from the left came back off the bar.
The clinching goal for Bungay would not come, though John Riches tested the keeper with a low free-kick, Canham was narrowly wide with another set piece and James rounded the keeper but a defender got back to clear.
Team: L Riches, D Mirner, C Hunting, J Riches (S Flint), T Daniels (D Bensley), D Wigger (C Ling), J Knights, B Solomon, T Hunter, A Canham, S Flint (M James).
Tomorrow Bungay visit leaders Yelverton (2pm).