Bungay Town 2 Aylsham 1: Black Dogs get back to winning ways
- Credit: Archant
The Black Dogs recorded a deserved success on Saturday to end a run of five games without a win.
In a game with plenty of goalmouth action the margin would have been greater had they taken their chances, but it was a welcome three Anglian Combination Division One points against a side just below them in the table.
Josh Knights got in an early long range shot that was not far wide before the home side went ahead after only five minutes. A good passing move down the left ended with Ash Canham crossing for Dom Mirner to glance a neat near-post header in off the keeper.
Soon after Lewis Riches made a great save when an intended clearance cannoned off a colleague, leaving an Aylsham forward with a clear shot. And after Shaun Flint had forced the visiting keeper to save at his feet Riches made another point blank save to keep out a stinging shot.
But from the resulting corner Aylsham equalised as the ball was crossed to the far post where Jamie George had an easy chance.
That was against the run of play and Bungay resumed their offensive, which saw Canham play Darrell Wigger in, but the keeper blocked his toe-poke. The hosts regained the lead in the 44th minute when John Riches found Canham down the right and he again proved the provider, finding Flint who took one touch before firing in low across the keeper.
At the start of the second half Canham again put Wigger clear, but again the keeper was equal to his effort. Soon after John Riches had to clear off the line in another attack.
- 1 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 2 'Incredible turnout' as protesters demand River Waveney clean up
- 3 Traffic to be diverted with road temporarily closed for repair works
- 4 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 5 'I keep selling out' - Mum-of-two dreams of fudge shop as business thrives
- 6 Fishing equipment stolen after thieves smash car window
- 7 Celebration of food and drink gearing up for return this weekend
- 8 Chainsaws, drills and hedge trimmers stolen in farm burglary
- 9 Where jubilee parties are taking place in Waveney
- 10 MP calls for investment for east coast rail lines
Matt James, who replaced Flint, soon tested the keeper, with Canham inevitably setting up the chance, but Aylsham went close when a cross from the left came back off the bar.
The clinching goal for Bungay would not come, though John Riches tested the keeper with a low free-kick, Canham was narrowly wide with another set piece and James rounded the keeper but a defender got back to clear.
Team: L Riches, D Mirner, C Hunting, J Riches (S Flint), T Daniels (D Bensley), D Wigger (C Ling), J Knights, B Solomon, T Hunter, A Canham, S Flint (M James).
Tomorrow Bungay visit leaders Yelverton (2pm).