Bungay Town 2 Stalham Town 1: Canham strikes late to seal points for Black Dogs
- Credit: Archant
The Black Dogs got 2019 off to a winning start as they finally overcame a stubborn Stalham at the Maltings Meadow on Saturday.
They dominated much of the game and spurned numerous chances, some of them well saved and others kept out by desperate defending.
In fact the visitors took an early ninth minute lead in fortuitous fashion. An intended clearance by keeper Lewis Riches crashed against Thomas Crabb as he closed him down and rebounded into the net. Bungay were only behind for two minutes however. Veteran defender Craig Hunting turned the ball in from close range following a corner for his first goal for more than three years in his 555th game.
Bungay were soon attacking again and from a corner Matt James put a lob off target and then Ash Canham was just beaten to Chris Anderson’s low cross. Tom Hunter put James clear but the keeper came out well to block his path.
Bungay had what seemed a clear penalty appeal turned down when Canham was felled in the box and before the interval James was clear three times but failed to convert. Dom Mirner won the ball well and couldn’t beat the keeper and the same player was unlucky with a curling effort that beat the keeper but hit the top of the bar.
You may also want to watch:
Bungay should have had a clear lead at the interval and the pattern continued in the second half. Canham put a first time effort over the bar and then his close range flick was straight at the busy keeper. James turned another golden chance, set up by Mirner, over the bar and Bungay almost paid for their profligacy in the 77th minute as Stalham drove a powerful effort narrowly wide.
Having wasted easy chances Bungay went ahead in the 81st minute from a more difficult one, Canham stretching to loop a header over the keeper from Shaun Whiteman’s free-kick.
- 1 Latitude line-up reveal delayed as bosses look to learn from Liverpool test
- 2 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 3 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 4 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 5 Police told family of father who died after restraint that he was sleeping
- 6 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 7 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 8 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 9 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 10 Driver suffers minor injuries in crash with minibus
In added time Stalham went close with a shot that was just wide and Canham somehow scooped another golden chance over the bar from six yards after good work by debutant Alex Husband.
Team: L Riches, J Weston (K Caley), C Hunting, S Whiteman, T Hunter, C Anderson (A Husband), J Knights, B Solomon, D Mirner (J Weston), A Canham, M James (R Cook).
Tomorrow Bungay visit Reepham Town, 2pm.