Reepham Town 2 Bungay Town 2: Black Dogs let it slip at the death
- Credit: Archant
The Black Dogs dropped more vital Anglian Combination Division One points on Saturday as they once again conceded a last minute goal — this time to bottom club Reepham.
This was their sixth league draw, and all but one of them have come from winning positions, something that is clearly of concern to manage Richard Daniels and his team.
If they cannot beat teams from the lower half of the table who they dominate territorially, the hopes of promotion will drift away.
Once again all looked well to begin with. Captain Shaun Whiteman put two headers from crosses just off target in the opening stages and when Ash Canham had a shot turned away for a corner in the eighth, Whiteman powered home a header from Tom Hunter’s flag-kick.
But again they were quickly pegged back as they conceded a free-kick in a dangerous area and Martin Nantonque’s kick deflected off the wall past Lewis Riches.
You may also want to watch:
Matt James had a chance when put clear down the right but the keeper blocked and Canham tested the keeper with another shot on the turn before Reepham went close from another free-kick.
Canham set up James for a run and shot which flew wide and Canham himself was unlucky to see another attempt go just wide of the far post.
- 1 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 2 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 3 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 4 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 5 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 6 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 7 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 8 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 9 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 10 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
Just 35 seconds into the second half Bungay won a penalty as Canham was brought down in the area, and Whiteman duly converted the spot-kick for his seventh goal of the season. Later he hooked a shot just too high following another free-kick. Darrell Wigger, on as a substitute, worked a shooting chance but the keeper gathered his shot at the second attempt and Sam Wooldridge, also a substitute following his return to the club, fired narrowly wide in the 80th minute.
But the Black Dogs struggled to make their superiority count and paid the penalty in the 89th minute as they conceded a free-kick 25 yards out, failed to clear, and Tom Fisher grabbed the chance to fire home from eight yards. The resulting draw felt like a defeat.
Bungay Town: L Riches, C Anderson (D Wigger), C Hunting, S Whiteman, J Weston, D Mirner, J Knights, B Solomon (A Husband), T Hunter, A Canham, M James (S Wooldridge).
Tomorrow Bungay visit Hindringham (2pm).