North Walsham Town 2 Bungay Town 3: Black Dogs hang on after brilliant start
- Credit: Archant
Once again Bungay Town made hard work of beating a struggling side when they visited North Walsham in Saturday.
The previous week Mundford hit 13 against the Angels and to begin with it looked as if Bungay would challenge that figure — they were two up in four minutes and three up in 20 minutes.
But they took their foot off the pedal and despite creating numerous chances and half chances could not add to the score with the result that Walsham gained in confidence and scored two late goals to threaten to turn the game around completely.
However, the Black Dogs hung on for their fourth win in five games, consolidated third place in the Anglian Combination Division One and kept their promotion bid on track.
They took just 25 seconds to take the lead as Darrell Wigger received the ball on the right side of the penalty area and curled a low shot inside the far post. Three minutes later a long cross from the left from Tom Daniels deceived the keeper and curled into the far top corner of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Shaun Whiteman was just wide with a header from Matt James’ corner and then James put a chance wide before Whiteman had another header cleared off the line.
Walsham did go close soon after, keeper Lewis Riches having to stretch to turn a shot onto the bar before the ball was cleared. But it was 3-0 after 20 minutes as Mirner turned the ball in at the far post after more good work by Wigger and John Riches’ head on. James was unlucky to see his 25-yard shot narrowly clear the bar and before the interval Mirner netted again but was offside.
- 1 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 2 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 3 Police investigate Southwold sign swearing at visitors to stay away
- 4 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 5 'A momentous occasion': Pharmacies to start Covid vaccinations in Suffolk
- 6 Roundabout memorial bid for the 'Ole Chicken Man of Bungay'
- 7 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 8 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 9 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 10 People in 'next priority' groups to receive covid jabs in coastal town
In the second minute of the second half Mirner hit the bar and a scramble ensued in the six-yard box before the ball was cleared. The same player fired over when Damon Bensley set him up, before heading a free-kick wide.
But Walsham got a foothold in the game in the 59th minute Alex Husband was judged to have fouled a player just inside the penalty area and Tim Wylie converted the resultant penalty. Mirner saw a glancing header hit the outside of a post before Tom Hunter struck the far post with a free-kick. But with five minutes left the home side got another goal back as Whiteman turned the ball past Riches in attempting a clearance.
Team: L Riches, A Husband, S Whiteman, T Daniels, J Weston, D Wigger (T Hunter), B Solomon, J Riches, T Hunter (S Wooldridge), D Mirner, M James (D Bensley).
Tomorrow Bungay have a potentially much more difficult game at fourth-placed Aylsham (2pm).