Bungay Town playing waiting game on promotion
- Credit: Archant
Bungay Town held their end-of-season presentation evening at the Maltings Pavilion still not knowing whether they have been promoted to the Anglian Combination Premier Division.
They finished third in Division One behind UEA and Mundford and with Sheringham leaving the Premier Division for the Thurlow Nunn League, the likelihood is that a third promotion place will be available, but that has still to be confirmed.
The league still has to decide on other top flight issues before it can make an announcement. But there was still plenty to celebrate on Saturday, with awards for players being presented.
Brannan Solomon won the first team supporters' player of the year award after a string of impressive performances in midfield. Joint runners-up were Shaun Whiteman and Josh Knights.
Whiteman, who as captain was outstanding in defence all season and also finished as top scorer with 13 goals, received the players' player award voted for by his team-mates, with Solomon runner-up.
You may also want to watch:
And manager Richard Daniels gave his manager's award to striker Ash Canham, who hit 11 goals. Veteran Craig Hunting, who during the season became the all time record appearance maker for the club, was runner-up. He has now amassed 566 appearances — none of them in the premier division - for Bungay. Now he is hoping to have the chance to put that right next season.
The Black Dogs were last in the top flight 30 years ago, in 1989-90, 10 years before Hunting made his debut for the club.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 4 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 5 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 6 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
- 9 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 10 Do you have rare East Anglian apples growing in your garden?
Daniels is now to fill the role of director of football for the club with Wayne Hunter, his assistant for the past three years, becoming first team manager.
Bungay Reserves' player of the year award went to Jake Wilson, with Lewis Good taking the manager's award. A team player of the year was Nathan Tyler, with Dom Pearce the manager's choice.
Other awards presented: Sunday team player's player James Holden; manager's player Stu Campbell; veterans: player's player Alex Knights; manager's player Alex Knights; U18s: player's player Myles Payne; manager's player James Dickinson; chairman's mug Richard Daniels.