Bungay Town beaten in quarter-finals of Mummery Cup


- Credit: Archant

Interest in the Anglian Combination Mummery Cup ended at the quarter-final stage for Bungay on Saturday.

Apart from the opening 20 minutes Sheringham were the better side and deserved to go forward to the semi-finals.

Too many of Bungay’s key players had an off day and the Black Dogs have to put the game behind them and move on. Even so, if chances which came at key moments had been taken, the result could have been different.

After just four minutes a fine ball put Sam Olley clear on the right and he took it on only to fire narrowly wide of the far post.

Tom Hunter put a header from Olley’s cross over the top as Bungay’s opening spell brought promise, though they were hampered when Kevin Riches was sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes for dissent. Even so John Riches had a headed chance from Hunter’s corner but could not generate any power in it and when Kevin Riches returned the keeper fumbled his firm header from Josh Knight’s free-kick but a defender cleared the danger.

Sheringham’s first goal attempt did not come till the 30th minute, and it was wide. But they took the lead a minute from the interval when a header from Craig Terrington from a right wing cross crept just inside the far post.

Early in the second half Brandon Ling made a fine save to turn a lob around the post after his clearance to the edge of the area found a Sheringham player. Bungay created a great chance to equalise in the 61st minute as Kevin Riches headed the ball back into the danger area but John Riches turned it just wide under pressure from a few yards out.

Most Read

Six minutes later Sheringham got their second goal as substitute Jamie Nelson went on a solo run through the Bungay rearguard to slot the ball past Ling.

The home side were on top at this stage and missed a glorious chance as an unmarked forward failed to convert at the far post.

Shaun Whiteman was too high with a header from Knights’ free-kick, but Ling had to make a find save from close range, but was unable to get back into position before Nelson made the game safe in the 90th minute.

Team: B Ling, S Olley, C Hunting, R Cook (L Bilham), S Whiteman, J Knights, J Riches (J Wheeler), B Solomon, T Hunter (R Evans), D Mirner, K Riches.

Tomorrow Bungay have another cup quarter-final in the Suffolk Senior Cup at Lakenheath, 2pm.