Canary Chris at Wasps' big night
St Benets Wasps held their annual presentation evening on Saturday May 15 at Beccles Sports Centre. Thankfully the weather was very good which meant most of the players could make use of the two pitches set up outside for a huge kick about.
St Benets Wasps held their annual presentation evening on Saturday May 15 at Beccles Sports Centre.
Thankfully the weather was very good which meant most of the players could make use of the two pitches set up outside for a huge kick about.
Presenting the awards to the teams was special guest and local League One Champion, Chris Martin of Norwich City.
Fresh from the NCFC promotion celebrations, he presented Player of the Year Awards, Most Improved Player and Merit Awards to the nominated players from each team.
You may also want to watch:
Every player was presented with a club medal in recognition of their efforts and dedication in the 2009/2010 season.
It was fantastic to see such a high attendance from the youngest “Little Stingers” right through to the U17's.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 3 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 4 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 5 Tools stolen in spate of van break-ins
- 6 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 7 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 8 Important milestone for hospital hub revamp as external works completed
- 9 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 10 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
Refreshments were on sale and the demand was exceptional, as was the demand for the raffle tickets which sold out such was the support of everybody who attended.
The bingo was well received and the live band “Unknown Pictures” earned plenty of plaudits in only their second live gig with a collection of classic and modern hits.
There was also a World Cup Super-Sweepstake taking place with a cash prize for the entrant with the most correct predictions at the end of the tournament. This will be announced on the website.
Raffle and bingo prizes were kindly donated by local businesses including Michael's Cycles, Mark Harrod Ltd, Tesco, The Stationary Box, Wheels & Tyres Direct, The Marmalade Tree, The King's Head, The Wine Vaults, Waveney House Hotel, Marina Theatre, Ellough Park Raceway, and Waveney Print donated the programmes.
Thanks go out to all the players, managers and coaches for their efforts this season and to the parents for their commitment and support throughout.
Thank you also to the many volunteers who helped to set up and run the presentation evening.
Finally a huge thank you to Chris Martin who made himself freely available for autographs and photos all evening, much to the delight of several star-struck children.
He really did Norwich City Football Club and his home town of Beccles proud.