Caxton rue their misses
Hellesdon 2, Caxton 1BECCLES Caxton travelled to high-flying Hellesdon on Saturday in pursuit of causing an upset, but fell just short in a match when they more than matched their hosts but failed to convert their chances.
Hellesdon 2, Caxton 1
BECCLES Caxton travelled to high-flying Hellesdon on Saturday in pursuit of causing an upset, but fell just short in a match when they more than matched their hosts but failed to convert their chances.
A neat through-ball by Pasque sent Wright clear on goal only to be thwarted by the goalkeeper, with the rebound falling to Bishop whose shot was then cleared off the line.
Bishop then beat a couple of players and found himself one-on-one with the keeper but couldn't get his shot away. Bishop caused more problems for the Hellesdon defence with his strength and power.
He carved out another opportunity, following good build-up play by Wright and Remblance. Bishop was about to unleash a shot when he was pulled back in the area, but the referee turned down the Caxton appeals for a penalty.
Once again, the Caxton rearguard looked very solid with centre-half pairing of T Riches and K Riches building a very good partnership in the heart of defence, well supported by Dyer and Smith-Howell, who is enjoying a run in the first team after impressing in the Reserves.
- 1 F1 star jumps out of plane over Suffolk town
- 2 Museum ready for 21st century after 'transformation'
- 3 Fire crews tackle blaze for several hours at Suffolk farm
- 4 Celebration of food and drink gearing up for return this weekend
- 5 Chainsaws and drills stolen after rural farm buildings targeted
- 6 Wanted woman arrested in Lowestoft
- 7 Where jubilee parties are taking place in Waveney
- 8 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 9 Boat users given fines over £16k for breaking rules on Norfolk Broads
- 10 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
Caxton's Wright had an effort just wide. Hellesdon took an undeserved lead from a great counter-attack.
In the second half Caxton finally got their reward when a K Riches free-kick was flicked on by Bishop into the path of Wright who rounded the keeper and scored. Good defending by both sides kept the scores at 1-1. Hellesdon snatched a headed winner.
Bishop and Remblance both had chances. Downing also made a great save in the final moments as Caxton pushed forward. MoM: Tom Riches.