Caxton rue their misses
Hellesdon 2, Caxton 1BECCLES Caxton travelled to high-flying Hellesdon on Saturday in pursuit of causing an upset, but fell just short in a match when they more than matched their hosts but failed to convert their chances.
Hellesdon 2, Caxton 1
BECCLES Caxton travelled to high-flying Hellesdon on Saturday in pursuit of causing an upset, but fell just short in a match when they more than matched their hosts but failed to convert their chances.
A neat through-ball by Pasque sent Wright clear on goal only to be thwarted by the goalkeeper, with the rebound falling to Bishop whose shot was then cleared off the line.
Bishop then beat a couple of players and found himself one-on-one with the keeper but couldn't get his shot away. Bishop caused more problems for the Hellesdon defence with his strength and power.
You may also want to watch:
He carved out another opportunity, following good build-up play by Wright and Remblance. Bishop was about to unleash a shot when he was pulled back in the area, but the referee turned down the Caxton appeals for a penalty.
Once again, the Caxton rearguard looked very solid with centre-half pairing of T Riches and K Riches building a very good partnership in the heart of defence, well supported by Dyer and Smith-Howell, who is enjoying a run in the first team after impressing in the Reserves.
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 4 Woman in 20s suffers serious leg injuries in late night crash
- 5 Four men arrested after teenager robbed
- 6 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 7 Land transformed with power company's pond restoration
- 8 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 9 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 10 Restaurant hosting drinkers at Covid peak may have ‘risked public’s health’
Caxton's Wright had an effort just wide. Hellesdon took an undeserved lead from a great counter-attack.
In the second half Caxton finally got their reward when a K Riches free-kick was flicked on by Bishop into the path of Wright who rounded the keeper and scored. Good defending by both sides kept the scores at 1-1. Hellesdon snatched a headed winner.
Bishop and Remblance both had chances. Downing also made a great save in the final moments as Caxton pushed forward. MoM: Tom Riches.