Celebration time for Black Dogs

Bungays squad with the Anglian Combination Division Two trophy and the Junior Knockout Cup.

Bungays squad with the Anglian Combination Division Two trophy and the Junior Knockout Cup. - Credit: Archant

Bungay Town 2, Thetford Rovers 1

The Black Dogs celebrated their brilliant season on Saturday as they paraded their double trophies at the end of their final game of the season at the Maltings Meadow.

They had lifted the Anglian Combination Junior Knockout Cup three days earlier after beating Wells Town 3-2 in the final, and on Saturday they received the Division Two championship trophy they had clinched with three games remaining.

It was presented to them by Vince Roper, who refereed Saturday’s game, his final one after 42 illustrious years as a referee at all levels.

Then the team celebrated their first league and cup double for 66 years at the end of a season in which they lost just three of the 39 games played.

Saturday’s win over Thetford Rovers was the 33rd but Bungay had to wait until added time to hit the winner to complete their 11th double of the season out of a possible 15.

They dominated the game and should have won it comfortably before that, but there was understandably an air of celebration about the afternoon and Rovers were always in with a chance of a surprise draw, which they almost achieved.

Most Read

The home team showed several changes, both at the start and during the game, and it meant they were unable to get real rhythm into their game. But it didn’t matter, the hard work had been done earlier in the season to make 2014-15 the Black Dogs’ most successful season for many years.

The club now looks forward eagerly to senior football next season.

Jody Peacher, who had a good game in the centre of midfield, fired a first-time 20-yarder over the bar in the second minute and Aiden Lowe set up Dan Burgess, whose chip over the advancing keeper ran just the wrong side of the far post.

Burgess and Lowe both went close again before Bungay took the lead in the 29th minute, Joe McFarlane rifling a 30-yard shot into the bottom corner.

Regulars Kevin Riches, Ryan McFadden and Nathan Causton came on after the interval as Bungay continued to make chances which were not converted.

With five minutes left Rovers grabbed an equaliser as Jose Pimental drove home from 30 yards past John Riches, the midfielder in goal for the injured Rob Howes.

But 15 seconds into added time Dom Mirner spared the home side’s blushes as he banged the ball home via a defender from Burgess’s cross to give the season a deserved winning climax.

The club’s presentation evening for senior teams will be at the Maltings Pavilion on May 30.