Charity is real winner
A SELECT Beccles side made the long journey to Haughley United on Sunday to take on a select Bury/NGrid side for charity.This game raised £2,500 for Cancer Research UK and NGrid will match this to make the total £5,000.
A SELECT Beccles side made the long journey to Haughley United on Sunday to take on a select Bury/NGrid side for charity.
This game raised £2,500 for Cancer Research UK and NGrid will match this to make the total £5,000.
This will hopefully now be an annual game.
Bury tested man-of-the-match Danny Cable in the Beccles goal. Beccles went ahead through a goal from Ant Martin who followed up from close range after a cracking shot from John Remblance.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles extended their lead when the ever running Neil Hurren was bought down 25 yards out, Kev Waterman stepped up and curled the ball around the wall and into the top right hand corner. Martin made yet another run into the box and pulled the ball back to J Remblance to fire home to send Beccles in 3-0 up.
In the second half Beccles soaked up a lot of pressure with Rob Hill and the influential Craig Peters marshalling the midfield. Bury pulled one back when a penalty was awarded for hand-ball.
- 1 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 2 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 3 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 4 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 5 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 6 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 7 MP still hopes to host surgeries in person after colleague killed
- 8 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 9 An A to Z of East Anglian cider
- 10 New brewery restaurant opens for tapas nights, afternoon tea and more
The Beccles back four of Sam Buthcher, Mark Bicker, Shaun Soloman and Sean Payne made some excellent last-ditch tackles.
On 70 minutes Bury scored again. Beccles went up a gear and N Hurren scored from close range after beating four players. Bury were awarded yet another penalty but even though Cable went the other way to the ball he managed to turn it round a post.
Then Hurren netted his second after good work from C Peters. Beccles finished 5-2 winners and captain Sean Payne received the Pargas Charity Cup.