Clark seals it for Beccles in derby clash with Bungay
- Credit: Archant
Beccles 2 Bungay Town 1
Beccles moved to the top of the table after a fiercely-contested Anglian Combination Division One derby against Bungay in front of a large crowd at College Meadow.
Beccles were able to recall Pluck to the squad and also the returning Joe Clark from Kirkley and Pakefield. Beccles lined up with Cable, Mutimer, Lovelock, Fisk, Booker, Remblance, Udell, Bemment, Bailey, Clarke and Clark.
Bungay were seemingly the better side in the first 20 minutes and their direct approach seemed to unsettle Beccles and disrupt their attacking football. As a result the away side put Town under spells of good pressure, with Lowe pulling the strings and creating chances.
On 25 minutes, Bungay’s endeavour paid dividends when, from a dangerously whipped ball into the box, Whiteman rose highest to glance an excellent header into the bottom corner.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles continued to struggle to adapt to the game and Bungay continued to look dangerous when the ball went forward.
At the end of the half Beccles got a foothold in the game and created a clear opportunity when Booker forced his way through but his shot flashed just wide and the teasms went in with the visitors a goal to the good.
- 1 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 2 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 3 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 4 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 5 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 6 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 9 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
- 10 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
Beccles made a change at the break, with Pluck replacing Bemment and Bailey moving to the wide position.
This had a positive impact on Beccles’ play and allowed them to grow into the game.
Although Beccles were having more of the ball in Bungay’s half, the away side’s defence stood strong and repelled what Town had to offer – until the 65th minute.
Beccles won a corner and from Remblance’s cross, Joe Clark got across his man to power his header past the goalkeeper for a returning debut goal to make the scores equal.
This lifted Beccles further and it didn’t take long for Clark to grab his second.
Clarke picked up the ball wide right and his through ball found Clark in the clear. He advanced on goal and slotted the ball past the goalkeeper and into the bottom corner.
Beccles could and should have extended their lead when chances fell to Clarke and Clark, but they could not convert.
On 80 minutes, Beccles made a change, introducing young George Milton for his senior debut to see out the game.
In the final few moments, the Beccles defence had to hold firm as Bungay produced a late flurry.
Beccles are top of the table, two points clear of Stalham, who have a game in hand, while Bungay are in ninth.