AT Beccles Golf Club on Saturday, in the Pat Gill Trophy OOM, 25 players and guests took part in the men’s competition and five in the ladies’ event.
With some excellent prizes up for grabs. there were some very good scores shot on a bright, still morning. Nine players matched the course par, with the top four only being separated by two shots.
Taking third place on countback was Alan Ereira, beating Stephen Tomlinson 75-11-64. Second was Brian Lever 74-10-64, and winning his dad’s trophy was Niall Gill 70-08-62.
Prizes for nearest the pin 1st/10th Alan Ereira, longest drive 9th/18th Steve Tomlinson, nearest the pin in two 7th/16th Brian Lever.
The ladies’ competition was a stableford with Ann Brett taking third with 13 points, Shirley Walding second with 14 and ladies’ captain Sam Cooper winning with 21.
You may also want to watch:
Club captain James Cushing thanked Willie for preparing the greens, Jackie and Sandra for the food
Sunday’s Beccles Golf Club Cup saw another reasonable-size field and on a bright hot, sunny day some up and down golf was played by a few members.
- 1 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 2 Latitude line-up reveal delayed as bosses look to learn from Liverpool test
- 3 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 4 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 5 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 6 Police told family of father who died after restraint that he was sleeping
- 7 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 8 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 9 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 10 Driver suffers minor injuries in crash with minibus
Again it was quite close at the top with three points separating the top four. Scott Manthorpe beat Ron Walding to take third position with 41 points, Willie White was second on 42 and secretary Alan Ereira took the trophy with 44.
Vice-captain Bryan Debenham thanked Willie for preparing the greens and wished him all the best for his forthcoming operation, and thanked Rhona for the food. Everyone wished seniors’ captain Ron Walding and his team all the best for their match on Tuesday.
Tomorrow: Secretary’s Cup OOM, Sunday junior coaching 10- 1.00am
On Tuesday, Beccles hosted four members of Three Rivers Golf and Country Club in Essex in the English National Seniors Plate.
The players representing Beccles were seniors’ captain Ron Walding, Ray Walding, Bob Janney and David Dean Snr. The match was singles match play format and Beccles came away winning 3-1.
Ron Walding thanked club captain James Cushing, secretary Alan Ereira and all the members who came along and helped with spotting and supporting the players. He also congratulated all the team members on their achievement, and thanked green keeper Mike Jolly for cutting the greens before play commenced.
Ron was asked by the Essex players to pass onto the green keeper their complements on the superb condition of the greens and that they not played on any better greens this year.
They also thanked Ron, Bob, David, Ray and the club for their hospitality and thanked Shirley for the buffet after the match.
Beccles now have to wait to see who they will meet in the next round.