Conditions test hardiest crews
The wet, chilly start to Sunday week’s three Icicle series drew only the most keenest of sailors to Beccles Amateur Sailing Club.
Crews hauled their boats out of a very water-logged dinghy park.
And with the north-easterly providing little in the way of drying-out weather, let alone exciting racing conditions, the clubhouse was a much-welcome relief between races.
Good starts and experience in such light airs, mixed with a strong flood tide, were always going to determine overall winners in both the Icicle Shield campaigns.
Kevin and Elena Edwards in Sharkie took top spot in the first race with Richard Deller, with crew Saskia Baylis in their Enterprise Cuddles, easily winning the second.
You may also want to watch:
Team Edwards did amazingly well to get back into second place after having to return to the line for being over on the horn.
BASC’s normally strong fleet of Toppers were reduced to just two in the single race in the Goodwin Trophy.
- 1 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 2 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 3 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 4 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 5 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 6 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 7 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 8 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 9 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 10 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
Despite Poppy Roll’s valiant efforts, Charlie Folkard made light work with another win.
The Popsicle Plate for Optimists had the three youngest helms out on the water with Rowan Curtis in Bittern taking the first bell in both races.
But a really determined effort by his brother George in Robin Hood had him secure both second places, just beating rival Rachael Folkard, who took both thirds.
Icicle Shield race one (12): 1 Sharkie (K and E Edwards), 2 Cuddles (R Deller and S Baylis), 3 Hellraiser ( M Deller).
Popsicle Plate race one (3): 1 Bittern (R Curtis), 2 Robin Hood, 3 Rachael (R Folkard).
Icicle Shield race two (11): 1 Cuddles, 2 Sharkie, 3 PDQ (R Langston).
Goodwin Trophy (2): 1 Charlie 2 (C Folkard), 2 Mambo Jambo (P Roll).
Popsicle Plate race 2 (3): 1 Bittern, 2 Robin Hood, 3 Rachael.
SAILORS at Buckenham Sailing Club started the Tangier Trophy race just before slack water.
In a light breeze all competitors finished the race with Arthur Wells in Javelin Custard, crewed by father Mark, finishing well ahead of the fleet.
He kept his place on corrected time ahead of Phil Gooch in his Supernova in second place and Steve Riley and Chris Skedge in RS Vision, Saphira, taking third place.
As the second race started the wind died and Custard was the only dinghy able to make progress over the fast ebb tide.
All other boats retired and were towed or paddled home.
Tangier Trophy: 1 Custard (Arthur and Mark Wells), 2 Supernova (Phil Gooch), 3 Saphira (Steve Riley and Chris Skedge).
General Allcomers: 1 Custard.