Confusion over score hits Beccles

Beccles 16, Canvey Island 16

DESPITE picking up what may well prove to be two valuable points, Beccles again know that they should have taken all four from this clash against old rivals, third-placed Canvey, in which they had two tries ruled out and were told a wrong score at a vital moment.

Skipper Lake highlighted this match’s importance to the campaign and his team responded from the off and took the game to their higher placed opponents.

For the majority of the first 30 minutes Beccles camped deep in the Canvey half.

Good ball carrying by the forwards, in particular Porter, kept play moving forward, resulting in a number of scrums close to the Canvey goal line.

After a number of scrums Beccles where awarded a penalty where they opted for another scrimmage.

From this Rix, playing at eight for the first time this season, picked up and barged as over the line, but with the referee unsighted the try was not given.

Most Read

From a driven line-out the ball was moved across the pitch to young wing Davey-Durak, who had a fantastic game, and powered his way down the line to touch down in the corner. Again this was disallowed.

Beccles finally got points on the board from a penalty and soon got the try they deserved. Strong forward play from Wilson, Warnes and Ling fed Murray, who spun wide to Rayner. The young Australian cut into the line and rounded the defence to touch down out wide. Wade slotted over the kick from the touch-line.

Wade stretched Beccles’ lead to 13 with another well-taken penalty.

Canvey began to hammer hard at the Beccles line, skipper Lake leading the defence, but from a penalty Canvey reduced the gap to 10.

A minute before half-time Beccles let Canvey back into the game. A loose pass started the move which produced a converted try.

The second half was a stop-start affair with Beccles struggling to gain momentum.

Canvey, from another penalty, brought the scores level before taking the lead with another.

Beccles’ cause was further hampered by an injury to the powerful and influential Wilson who had to be replaced by Giddings. Then Warnes was yellow-carded.

With the clock running down Rayner continued to cause Canvey trouble with his electric counter-attacking, linking well with his two direct and powerful wingers Vasey-Lark and Davey-Durak.

With two minutes left Musker McIntyre man of the match Sale took a quick tap-penalty only to be impeded by the offside opposition to gain a vital extra 10 meters.

Beccles wanted to press for the win, and after consulting the referee were told that they were only one point behind.

With this in mind, Wade converted a long-range pressure kick – and Beccles thought they had the lead.

From the restart Beccles retained the ball before the final whistle blew for what they – and the referee – thought was a well-earned win.

Following an immediate challenge from the Canvey players and supporters the referee corrected the result to a draw.

Disappointed Beccles know that the performance was there and the two points collected may prove crucial.