Crews tackle windy conditions
IT was certainly a windy start for sailors at Beccles last Saturday.Some gusts got up to 25mph in the moderate westerly which saw Saskia Baylis, in a Topper, win the Novices Salver in some style.
IT was certainly a windy start for sailors at Beccles last Saturday.
Some gusts got up to 25mph in the moderate westerly which saw Saskia Baylis, in a Topper, win the Novices Salver in some style. With the wind slightly easing for the afternoon racing schedule, crews got in some fast reaches along the Norfolk bank in a now fresher breeze.
Rory Kelsey with Joe Brackenbury powered away from the start in the 30 minute Pursuit race in their Norfolk Tankard and simply couldn't be caught despite great efforts from Mark Langston in his Laser and G Curtis and A Bailey in their Enterprise who finished second and third respectively.
The Tankard crew went on to take the Coronation Cup race for the third week running putting them in an excellent position with three weeks left to run.
After a poor start, Glen Curtis and Andy Bailey in the Enterprise race got in the groove and slowly made their way through the fleet, eventually passing R Salisbury, who got stuck in irons before the No 3 buoy, to enjoy their first win this series in Tarka IV.
In the juniors Mirror One Trophy, Milo Philips-Beck deservedly won both races this week after putting his Topper through its paces with some excellent helming, especially beating against the flow of senior boats going up to the new bridge marker.
- 1 Challenging future for high streets amid fall in shoppers
- 2 Motorcyclist injured after crash in busy Suffolk road
- 3 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 4 Latest 'festival-style' market to take place next month
- 5 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
- 6 Five-bedroom country house with 'secret garden' on sale for £1.25m
- 7 New minister appointed for Beccles Salvation Army
- 8 Camera club showcases best of town's efforts
- 9 Knitters set to hit 'gorgeous' beach for Stitches on the Sand
- 10 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
BASC reminds sailors across the region that they are hosting their Junior Open on Sunday, July 27 and the Monosail Open on August 3.
The club's Open Regatta then follows on August 4 to 6. All details of forthcoming events and information on the club is available on the website at www.BecclesASC.co.uk.
Results: Clubhouse Trophy - 1 R Kelsey/J Brackenbury, 2 M Langston, 3 G Curtis/ A Bailey.
Coronation Cup - 1 R Kelsey/J Brackenbury, 2 M Langston, 3 J Shipley.
Mirror One (race one) - 1 M Philips-Beck, 2 S Baylis, 3 B Ashcroft.
Will Judge Trophy - 1 J Shipley, 2 M Langston.
Bacchante Trophy NOD - 1 J Brackenbury/R Kelsey, 2 T Haycock/J Thomas, 3 S Grief.
Kerrich Cup - 1 G Curtis/A Bailey, 2 R Salisbury, 3 R Deller/M Thrower.
Mirror One (race two) - 1 M Philips-Beck, 2 O Baylis, 3 H Shipley.
Novices Salver - 1 S Baylis, 2 S Palmer, 3 P Edwards.