Crucial win boost for Bungay

PUBLISHED: 11:27 12 June 2009 | UPDATED: 08:15 01 August 2010

Bungay claimed a crucial home Alliance Division Four victory over Great Melton to go second and travel to Stow A tomorrow hoping to put pressure on leaders Great Witchingham.

Bungay claimed a crucial home Alliance Division Four victory over Great Melton to go second and travel to Stow A tomorrow hoping to put pressure on leaders Great Witchingham.

Having beaten a fairly lacklustre Dereham A side convincingly the previous week, Bungay entertained morning leaders Great Melton. It was a thrilling encounter between two teams looking for promotion.

Earlier this season, Bungay gain a winning draw against Great Melton, who were very determined not to settle for the same result.

Bungay won the toss and decided to bowl first on a flat track chasing maximum points.

Great Melton openers Wood and Cooper started steadily, punishing any loose deliveries offered by T York and C Fuller.

The change of bowling broke the partnership with W Lewis putting pressure on the batsmen. Cooper edged behind to the wicketkeeper off Lewis and Clarke did the same.

The returning Fuller then removed Bunn and Godbold in quick succession. York finished his economical spell of 12 overs very unfortunate not to take a wicket. His replacement D Flatt then took the crucial wicket of Wood just before he reached his half-century.

Great Melton tried to rebuild with a 45-run partnership. It took the returning Lewis to take a wicket with his first ball to break the partnership.

With six overs left the Great Melton batsmen looked to take on the Bungay bowlers, and this allowed Fuller to take the wicket of Woods and Lewis to claim Godbold and Devlin - which completed his five-wicket haul and restricted Great Melton to a modest 195.

Bungay came out after tea looking positive with Watts continuing his good form and looking to attack from the off, caressing the ball to the boundary on several occasions.

His departure came as a shock as a lapse in concentration saw him bowled as he played a pull shot to a ball that wasn't quite short enough.

York, fresh from his 50 the week before, with captain Fuller punished any bad balls and built on the good start. York was looking in exceptional form and dispatched the balls to all parts. But the introduction of spin bowler Cooper led to his downfall as he played one shot too many and was caught on the boundary for 48.

The next over saw Bungay lose Fuller for a very well made 49, leaving Bungay with two new batsmen at the crease.

M Elden and C Fuller looked to keep the run rate high with a few big shots played before Eldon was caught on the boundary for a quick 20. C Fuller, also looking to up the run rate, was next out lbw for a quick 19. D Flatt then followed, stumped for one.

With nerves showing, Bungay needed 15 off the last three overs for victory.

Lewis, continuing his fine day, along with P Fuller, kept the run rate up and in the last over Bungay needed four to win. It took only one ball as Lewis held his nerve and elegantly despatched a full ball to the leg-side boundary.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Beccles and Bungay Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Beccles and Bungay Journal