Cup battles in spotlight
Notley’s Lowestoft & District Football League round-up
The KO Cup quarter-finals were played last weekend. The stand-out tie paired the top two in the first division Oxford Arms and Waveney Reserves and a tight affair ensued with title favourites Oxford netting a stoppage-time winner to progress 3-2.
DK Consultants, who head the second division, knocked out in-form first division side Pot Black by a 6-2 margin.
Barsham defeated GT Yarmouth Town Hall 4-1 whilst Spexhall hard to work hard to beat Bungay A 2-1.
Onto league action and things got even better for Oxford as title challengers Hearts of Oak lost again, this time Pakefield Re-United the winners by a 2-1 scoreline.
Norton are now in second after a fine 7-2 dismantling of in-form Blundeston Magpies. Andy Green helping himself to five goals.
Kirkley & Pakefield A inflicted another heavy defeat on Corton White Horse Seltic with a 9-1 success.
- 1 Bungay Christmas street market to return this weekend
- 2 Time to vote for the Journal awards finalists
- 3 Is this your dog? Police look to reunite Labrador with owner
- 4 Garage forced open with mountain bikes stolen during burglary
- 5 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 6 Man taken to hospital after pedestrian struck by vehicle in north Suffolk
- 7 Suspended sentence for former church worker who indecently assaulted girl
- 8 Booster vaccine clinics being held at town's pharmacy
- 9 Omicron variant will come to Suffolk - county prepares to tackle it
- 10 Four fire crews called to bin lorry blaze in East Suffolk
With the top two in the second division in cup action it was Waveney Gunners who profited most as they got a 4-0 win over Crusaders. Hopton are up to fourth after their fine 3-1 win at Mutford & Wrentham.
Telecom Rovers slipped to a 3-0 reverse at a fast improving Earsham.
Beccles Caxton Reserves gained three valuable points at Ellingham who are firmly rooted at the bottom after Norton Reserves’ fine 2-1 win at Spexhall Reserves. Norton are still in danger but three wins in their last four games has given them a chance.
Mike Johnson KO Cup Quarter Finals: Barsham 4, Gt Yarmouth Town Hall 1; Bungay Town A 1, Spexhall 2; DK Consultants 6, Pot Black 2; Waveney Reserves 2, Oxford Arms 3.
Division One: Hearts of Oak 1, Pakefield Re-United 2; Kirkley & Pakefield 9, Corton White Horse Seltic 1; Norton Athletic 7, Blundeston Magpies 2.
Division Two: Earsham 3, Telecom Rovers 0; Ellingham 1, Beccles Caxton Reserves 4; Mutford & Wrentham 1, Hopton 3; Spexhall Reserves 1, Norton Athletic Reserves 2; Waveney A 0, Lowestoft International 0; Waveney Gunners 4, Crusaders 0.
Division Three: Carlton Rangers 3, Kirkley & Pakefield B 2; Corton White Horse Seltic Reserves 3, Westhall 1; FC Eastport 7, Blundeston Magpies Reserves 1; Lowestoft Albion 0, Mutford & Wrentham Reserves 19; Oxford Arms Reserves 2, Royal Oak 3; Southwold Town Reserves 3, Harleston Town Reserves 6.