Cup glory for Bungay Reserves

PUBLISHED: 11:37 16 May 2008 | UPDATED: 07:25 01 August 2010

Bungay Reserves celebrate victory.

Bungay Reserves celebrate victory.

A Suffolk county trophy came to Bungay for the first time in 46 years on Saturday as Town's Reserves gained a thrilling extra-time victory in the Suffolk Primary Cup final.

A Suffolk county trophy came to Bungay for the first time in 46 years on Saturday as Town's Reserves gained a thrilling extra-time victory in the Suffolk Primary Cup final.

In soaring temperatures the young Bungay side (nine of the squad are still in their teens) lasted the pace better and than Old Newton Reserves and after equalising dramatically in the 90th minute of normal time they scored twice in the extra period to run out deserved 4-2 winners.

They had taken an early lead, but Old Newton looked the better side for the next hour and were ahead midway through the second half, before Bungay came back to seize the initiative.

The young Black Dogs were ahead after only two minutes. Gregor Gibson struck the bar with an early effort and the ball fell to Jason Belmore to ram home from eight yards.

Old Newton dominated the next phase and deservedly equalised in the 21st minute as Chris Steggalls scored with a low drive through a crowded goalmouth following a corner.

Right on half-time a good run by Ash Ling and a cross from Belmore set up James Youngman, who had one effort blocked and from the rebound a second shot met the same fate.

Early in the second half Sam Olley replaced the injured Steve Batt, who went off with a cut head, and Old Newton were ahead on 62 minutes as a corner was swung into the far past and Steggalls touched it in with his head from almost on the line.

A header from Callum Jones hit the angle of post and bar. But Bungay had grasped the initiative as old Newton wilted, and in the last minute of normal time a good move on the right saw Ben Clitheroe play the ball inside for substitute Brendan Gough to beat the keeper with a first-time shot.

In lengthy injury time Webb headed another curling corner off the line, and at the other end the keeper did well to turn a low shot from Ling away for a corner.

The Black Dogs had their tails up in extra time and after eight minutes Ling took the ball forward, received a return pass and wrong-footed his marker before scoring with a low shot just inside the near post.

A header which came back off the angle of post and bar showed Newton still carried a threat, but Bungay sealed it eight minutes into the second extra period as Jones put in a good run and crossed for Youngman to hook past the keeper.

A fine team effort gave Webb the chance to collect the cup for the first time since the first team lifted the Suffolk Senior Cup with a 1-0 replay victory over Waterside Works at Portman Road in 1961-62.

Team: J Downing, B Clitheroe, G Webb, S Batt (S Olley), T Daniels, A Seamons, J Youngman, C Jones, A Ling, J Belmore (D Bedingfield), G Gibson (B Gough).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Beccles and Bungay Journal. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Beccles and Bungay Journal