Cup rivals too strong for Beccles
North Walsham 13, Beccles 0Beccles rugby players put up a fight but were overpowered by higher league opposition in the quarter-finals of the Woodforde's Norfolk Senior Cup.
North Walsham 13, Beccles 0
Beccles rugby players put up a fight but were overpowered by higher league opposition in the quarter-finals of the Woodforde's Norfolk Senior Cup.
The senior side made their way into the semi-finals after beating a game and resolute Beccles.
The relative positions of the sides in the rugby pyramid may have pointed to a home banker but the Vikings were made to fight all the way, their tries coming in the first and last minutes, although the final result was never in doubt.
You may also want to watch:
Walsham quickly put points on the board, stemming from a line-out Beccles fought back and had a penalty attempt but Luke Wade's well-struck kick hit the top of a post and rebounded into Walsham hands.
Neither side was able to build a platform but the visitors were well drilled and were able to thwart the efforts of Walsham's makeshift back line.
- 1 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 2 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 3 Manager's tears of happiness at hotel accolade
- 4 Man was found dead in wooded area after battle with alcoholism, inquest hears
- 5 Town's post office to close within a month
- 6 Theatre to end first socially-distanced season with award-winning duo
- 7 Refurbishment of 'incredibly important structure' confirmed
- 8 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 9 Care home bosses welcome proposed roll-out of rapid covid tests
- 10 Missing pregnant woman found 'safe and well'
Beccles lost flanker David Rix to the sin bin but Walsham were unable to take advantage of the extra man, although most of the second period was played in Beccles' territory.
Walsham were stopped just before the line but soon increased the lead with a penalty.
Although Beccles never really looked likely to cross the Walsham line they hammered away and showed why they are challenging for promotion, but always found one defender too many.
Walsham claimed a try after a driving maul close to the line just before the final whistle.