Dan hits fine brace

Long Stratton 2, Bungay Town 2

TWO fine finishes by leading scorer Dan Andrew and an heroic rearguard action by the defence saw the Black Dogs to a deserved point at league leaders Long Stratton on Saturday.

It meant they became the first side to take a point from Stratton this season and it was a well-deserved one.

They shocked the home side by taking a two-goal half-time lead, and it was not till five minutes from time that Stratton finally equalised.

Craig Hunting was back at the heart of the back four for his first appearance of the season and used his experience well, with those around him responding to his example.

Bungay kicked off in pouring rain and soon found themselves defending. Gary Foyster made a diving fingertip save to keep out one low shot and others were just off target.

But the Black Dogs looked dangerous going forward, and the home keeper did well to hold a low cross on the sodden turf.

Most Read

Having survived the home offensive, the Black Dogs took the lead in the 27th minute.

Kevin Riches played Andrew in with a firm header forward and the striker took it on to score with a powerful finish past the advancing keeper.

Seven minutes later it was 2-0, as Andrew’s determination got the better of the attention of two big defenders on the edge of the area and thumped in another great goal past the keeper – his fifth of the season.

As the home side fought back with determination Bungay, aided with some luck, defended well to keep their sheet clean at halt-time.

Riches brought a good save from the home keeper with a low free-kick in the 57th minute, but Stratton pulled one back on 60 minutes with a header from Shaun Flint from a corner.

Andrew chased a ball which was going out and crossed low and the keeper just got to the ball before Grainger Perez-Hunt.

Then Stratton went close when a forward broke through on a solo run but pulled his shot wide of the far post.

The Bungay goal bore a charmed life at times in other home attacks, with efforts being blocked on the line by defenders or Foyster.

But Bungay had an appeal for a penalty turned down when Andrew used his speed to get into the box before being blocked by defenders. The referee waved play on.

Just is it seemed that the Black Dogs might hold out for a win, Stratton equalised in the 85th minute.

From a corner, Flint drove the ball in through a crowded six-yard box. Before the end Ainsley Baynes was sent off for a late tackle.

Bungay: G Foyster, M Shipley, C Hunting, S Batt (G Shipley), S Whiteman, A Baynes, K Riches, R Tuffs, M Armstrong, D Andrew, G Perez-Hunt (M James).

Tomorrow Bungay entertain Sprowston Athletic (kick-off 2.30pm).