Depleted Beccles find it tough
A lack of key players available for Beccles Ladies' last hockey league game in Martin & Acock Division One was a major contribution to their defeat.With a squad of 10, Beccles had to make several positional changes to an already weakened side by visitors North Walsham II.
A lack of key players available for Beccles Ladies' last hockey league game in Martin & Acock Division One was a major contribution to their defeat.
With a squad of 10, Beccles had to make several positional changes to an already weakened side by visitors North Walsham II.
Elane Gardner, despite an injury, made a welcome return after several months' absence.
North Walsham brought a stronger team compared to their previous encounter and made good use of the “extra” player.
Beccles struggled to cope with so many players out of position, and all three of North Walsham's goal came in the first half.
Two of the three goals were soft goals which normally would have been cleared with ease.
- 1 Town start season with home win
- 2 Is size the secret of south Norfolk's 'up and coming' village?
- 3 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 4 Imaginations soar as popular sculpture trail returns
- 5 League of Friends of Hospital raise & invest staggering sum of money
- 6 Enjoy the wonders of hidden exotic garden at summer open days
- 7 Britain's Got Talent star to perform at Bungay's Fisher Theatre
- 8 Obituary: 'Remarkable' musician remembered with publication of new book
- 9 Roll-out of free Wi-Fi continues in east Suffolk
- 10 Town's real ale pub launches new menu with 'something for everyone'
Beccles came out a lot stronger and with more determination in the second half and were rewarded when Carol Maycock's persistence paid off 23 minutes into the second half.
Despite Beccles' best efforts, North Walsham were better organised, kept close to their opponents, and spread the ball about well. They continued to pressurise the Beccles defence, but Max Gibbs consistently broke down their attacks and cleared the ball safely out of the danger area.
This defeat puts Beccles down to fifth place on goal difference and the team will need the full support of all players if it wants to push for promotion next season.
Final score: Beccles Ladies 1, North Walsham II 3.