Diamond display on an eventful day on the river
There were thrills and spills on the River Yare where Buckenham Sailing Club hosted the Woodcock Salver Trophy event on Sunday, and welcomed visitors from Beccles Amateur Sailing Club.
With strong gusty winds all day, cautious sailors found more entertainment from the river bank watching the very testing conditions on the water rather than sailing themselves. The scheduled passage race to Cantley and back was postponed due to safety concerns over a long distance.
However, two races were held for Enterprises and General Allcomers. In the two Woodcock Salver races, visitors Scott Bilham and Jack Cammann from Ely SC, sailing White Diamond, were the only crew to complete both races.
In race one, the three other Enterprises retired after capsizes or fear of damage to their dinghies.
In race two, Agapanthus also finished the course to come in behind White Diamond.
There were screaming reaches, broaches and capsizes a-plenty but not only did White Diamond win the overall event, with only one capsize the crew had fewer duckings than any other competitors on water.
In the first Allcomer race, Jim Frost (BSC) sailing his Phantom Skylark, finished ahead of Matthew Deller (BASC) in Hell Raiser with Laser Rhino taking third place.
- 1 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 2 Vital new community bus service launches to help isolated get out and about
- 3 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 4 Estate agent hosting auction for air ambulance appeal
- 5 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers need to know about this week
- 6 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 7 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 8 Appeal for more Suffolk blood donors to prevent stocks running low
- 9 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 10 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
In the second race, Matthew took the honours ahead of Jim in second with Rhino again finished third. The other entrants were forced to retire.
This Sunday, Buckenham SC start their all-day summer sailing programme. Qualified instructors are holding “start sailing” evenings on the first three Thursdays in June, from about 5pm.
These will be either in the club Leader or your own boat. So if you are newish to sailing and would like some help or you know someone who would like to start sailing come along to Results
Enterprise Woodcock Salver Race One (4): 1 White Diamond (Scott Bilham and Jack Cammann).
Race Two (3): 1 White Diamond, 2 Agapanthus (Richard and John Salisbury).
Overall 1: White Diamond
Race One (6): 1 Skylark (Jim Frost), 2 Hell Raiser (Matthew Deller), 3 Rhino (B Ashcroft).
Race Two (5): 1 Hell Raiser, 2 Skylark, 3 Rhino.