Double delight for Bungay
Bungay Town 3, Stalham Town 0ASH Ling hit two goals as Bungay ended their bad run with a clear cut win at the Maltings Meadow on Wednesday evening - and achieved their first double of the season.
Bungay Town 3, Stalham Town 0
ASH Ling hit two goals as Bungay ended their bad run with a clear cut win at the Maltings Meadow on Wednesday evening - and achieved their first double of the season.
Following the departure of Bob Hepburn, caretaker managers Mick Simpson and Graham Mickleburgh had quickly instilled discipline into the side, and up front Ling and Ainsley Baynes caused Stalham plenty of problems while the defence coped well with the visitors' attack.
It was only the fourth time this season the Black Dogs had hit three goals in a game, one of the others being the 5-2 victory at Stalham in September.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Holmes got in an early shot for Bungay but it was too high, and Ling tried his luck on a couple of occasions. But Bungay always looked more threatening going forward, and took the lead in the 23rd minute as Baynes nodded on a long ball and Ling neatly lobbed the advancing keeper.
Stalham had a good spell of pressure towards half time, but failed to take advantage of two free kicks on the edge of the area.
- 1 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 2 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 3 Car park's £500 price hike was 'callous', town council says
- 4 Name unveiled for new Bungay SEND school
- 5 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 6 Butchers' could be converted into cafe under new plans
- 7 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 8 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 9 Bid for 40 new homes meets fresh opposition
- 10 Chance to own part of 'best pub in Britain'
Within two minutes of the restart Bungay were 2-0 up. Holmes sent in a tremendous 30-yard volley from which the keeper made an equally tremendous flying save to turn it for a corner - only to see Holmes score direct from the flag kick, the ball floating into the top far corner.
Robert Long, back in goal for Bungay with Ian Barber injured, did well to grab a close range shot, but Bungay were lively going forward and Baynes twice tested the keeper, and curled another effort narrowly wide.
Later Ling got in a good shot on the turn which the keeper palmed over for a corner, and Justin Doughty saw two efforts saved. At the other end Dan Lowe cleared his lines well when Long was beaten, and then James Youngman cleared off the line from a corner.
But Bungay rounded off a satisfactory night with five minutes left as Ling was alert to a back pass and nipped in to take the ball round the keeper to score.
Team: R Long, M Shipley, C Hunting, D Lowe, S Whiteman, J Youngman (G Shipley), B Davies, J Doughty, M Holmes (S Olley), A Baynes, A Ling.