Double trophy success for Wortwell
- Credit: Archant
Wortwell bowls players returned from the presentation lunch of the Men’s Section of the Norfolk Bowls Association with two trophies.
Wortwell were champions of South Division Two and finished runners-up in the Hansells Cup.
More than 30 trophies and awards were presented by president John Ottaway and guests from Hansells Solicitors and Financial Advisers, who have sponsored the Association, the Hansells Norfolk League and the Hansells Cup for 11 years. They included the firm’s managing partner Roger Holden, and senior partner Hugh Lansdell.
On behalf of the Hansells partners, Mr Holden congratulated players, teams and the association on another wonderful standard-setting season of sport, which had again seen Norfolk reach the final of the prestigious Middleton Cup, England’s top club trophy.
Other guests at the presentation lunch, held at the Holiday Inn Norwich North, included Bowls England board member Jeff Applegate and Percy Rowe, general secretary of Bowls England Suffolk.
You may also want to watch:
In the second match of the season in the Granite Transformations Norfolk League Division Two, Beccles had to come from behind to beat Browston on Saturday. Playing at Browston, after five ends Beccles were 25 shots behind, and at the halfway stage the deficit had only reduced to 23. The second half of the game saw a big turnaround and at 15 ends the lead was down to 10 shots with Beccles finishing strongly to win by 92 shots to 81 collecting 5 points to Browston’s 2.
Rink scores: N Roberts, D Mann, L Harris, J Catchpole 25 P Hurren 25; D Jolley, R Claxton, R Kerry, D Wood 25 T Gowen 10; A Twomey, J Knights, M Patterson, M Todd 26 V Moore 28; G Catchpole, A Frost, A Nixon, A Clarke 16 D Pratt 16.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 4 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 5 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 6 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
- 9 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 10 Do you have rare East Anglian apples growing in your garden?
This Saturday, Beccles are at home to Hunstanton.
In the first round of the Mason Trophy (Ladies National Over 60s Double Rink), both Beccles teams progressed to the next round with wins over Shotford and Diss B.
On Sunday, the club held the annual Junior Pairs Tournament. Fifteen pairs from Suffolk & Norfolk entered with the overall winners being the Beccles pair of Ben Swainston and Liam Harris.