Double trophy success for Wortwell
- Credit: Archant
Wortwell bowls players returned from the presentation lunch of the Men’s Section of the Norfolk Bowls Association with two trophies.
Wortwell were champions of South Division Two and finished runners-up in the Hansells Cup.
More than 30 trophies and awards were presented by president John Ottaway and guests from Hansells Solicitors and Financial Advisers, who have sponsored the Association, the Hansells Norfolk League and the Hansells Cup for 11 years. They included the firm’s managing partner Roger Holden, and senior partner Hugh Lansdell.
On behalf of the Hansells partners, Mr Holden congratulated players, teams and the association on another wonderful standard-setting season of sport, which had again seen Norfolk reach the final of the prestigious Middleton Cup, England’s top club trophy.
Other guests at the presentation lunch, held at the Holiday Inn Norwich North, included Bowls England board member Jeff Applegate and Percy Rowe, general secretary of Bowls England Suffolk.
You may also want to watch:
In the second match of the season in the Granite Transformations Norfolk League Division Two, Beccles had to come from behind to beat Browston on Saturday. Playing at Browston, after five ends Beccles were 25 shots behind, and at the halfway stage the deficit had only reduced to 23. The second half of the game saw a big turnaround and at 15 ends the lead was down to 10 shots with Beccles finishing strongly to win by 92 shots to 81 collecting 5 points to Browston’s 2.
Rink scores: N Roberts, D Mann, L Harris, J Catchpole 25 P Hurren 25; D Jolley, R Claxton, R Kerry, D Wood 25 T Gowen 10; A Twomey, J Knights, M Patterson, M Todd 26 V Moore 28; G Catchpole, A Frost, A Nixon, A Clarke 16 D Pratt 16.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 3 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 4 Tools stolen in spate of van break-ins
- 5 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 6 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 7 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 8 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 9 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 10 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
This Saturday, Beccles are at home to Hunstanton.
In the first round of the Mason Trophy (Ladies National Over 60s Double Rink), both Beccles teams progressed to the next round with wins over Shotford and Diss B.
On Sunday, the club held the annual Junior Pairs Tournament. Fifteen pairs from Suffolk & Norfolk entered with the overall winners being the Beccles pair of Ben Swainston and Liam Harris.