Double won on handicap
IN sunshine, Beccles Sailing Club Commodore Richard Deller presided over a large turnout of boats enjoying the gentle, warm southerly breeze. With the Waveney on the ebb, conditions certainly favoured the double-handers in the Winter Tankard.
IN sunshine, Beccles Sailing Club Commodore Richard Deller presided over a large turnout of boats enjoying the gentle, warm southerly breeze.
With the Waveney on the ebb, conditions certainly favoured the double-handers in the Winter Tankard. Although J Blankley crossed the line first twice in his Laser he had to settle for two second places as Glen and Lucie Curtis in their Enterprise Tarka IV followed him in a few seconds later to win both races on handicap, their first double this year.
In the Tann Trophy, the junior races saw the Topper crews in charge, and with the wind down to 10-12mph sailing was certainly less demanding compared to the previous Saturday's Force Six blows.
With Ollie Baylis and Milo Philips both taking firsts and seconds in the two races, a single point separated them overall at the halfway point in this six-week series.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles Amateur Sailing Club also enjoyed success the next day up at Hickling Broad as three Enterprises from the club embarked on the penultimate leg of the Woodcock Salver.
With thick sea mist delaying races in the morning, it was still a job to navigate the course once racing began. But that did not prevent Kevin Edwards and Rory Kelsey taking two firsts and a second in their Ent Minnie to win overall on the day.
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 4 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 5 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 6 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 7 Woman in 20s suffers serious leg injuries in late night crash
- 8 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 9 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 10 Four men arrested after teenager robbed
Results. Winter Tankard (Race One): 1 G and L Curtis, 2 J Blankley, 3 M and C Langston. Winter Tankard (Race Two): 1 G and L Curtis, 2 J Blankley, 3 M and C Langston. Tann Trophy (Race One): 1 O Baylis, 2 M Philips, 3 H Shipley. Tann Trophy (Race Two): 1 M Philips, 2 O Baylis, 3 L Bunter.