Drama on water as boats capsize
A FRESH north-westerly blew through Beccles ASC’s sailing event on Saturday, resulting in some thrills and spills for both sailors and spectators alike as some planeing conditions prevailed for some boats and high-speed capsizes for others.
With the busy summer racing schedule all finished, the start of the series D commenced with a reasonable show of boats, especially in the handicap races for Dinghys PY1250.
A great start by Glen Curtis and Jake Shipley in Enterprise Polyarchy in race one had them accelerate away from the mixed fleet of Ents, Lasers and a Norfolk to be first down to the leeward basin mark closely followed by Rory Kelsey and Stuart Halliday in Evil Edna.
Both were making great headway on the broad reach back when a building wind from behind tore into both boats who were flying past the clubhouse resulting in a spectacular synchronized death-roll, leaving the four occupants needing safety boat assistance.
The calamity amused the passing fleet with Kevin Edwards and Mark Langston in Sharkie eventually taking the honours on corrected time over Matt Dellers Laser.
You may also want to watch:
No more spare clothes resulted in a slightly diminished fleet size for race two.
This time Matt Deller and Bob Ashcroft soon put some distance between them and the rest of the fleet to enjoy probably the fastest sailing at BASC this year in their Lasers taking first and second respectively and Hugh Braidwood with a radial rig just keeping Sharkie at bay for third.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 3 Let's staycation in...Beccles
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Suffolk
- 5 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 6 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 7 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 8 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 9 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 10 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
Only two Toppers got on the water for the Tann Trophy races.
Both were dominated this week by Charlie Folkard and the Optimist campaign had all helms forced to abandon such was the strength of wind in the first race and only Elena Edwards and Poppy Roll saw out the second race as retirements prevailed.
Elena again this week took top spot in the Cinnabar Cup.
Results – Winter Tankard race one (9): 1 Sharkie (K Edwards/M Langston), 2 Hellraiser (M Deller), 3 Sonic Screwdriver (H Braidwood).
Tann Trophy race one (2): 1 Charlie (C Folkard), 2 Mambo Jambo (R Curtis).
Winter Tankard race two (7): 1 Hellraiser, 2nRhino (B Ashcroft), 3 Sonic Screwdriver.
Tann Trophy race two (2): 1 Charlie, 2 Mambo Jambo (Ret).
Cinnabar Cup race two (5): 1 Cinnabar (E Edwards), 2 Club Oppy (P Roll). 3 Retirements.