Drive-in produces highlight of a hole-in-one
Sunday saw the first competition of the New Year at Beccles Golf Club, and a hole-in-one.
A larger field than normal took part in the stableford competition to see ladies’ captain Sam Cooper’s Drive-In. With heckling from the players around the tee Sam managed to hold concentration and clear the dip on the first to land just left of the green.
In a biting cold wind and an occasional rain and sleet shower the scores were up and down.
The highlight of the day was a hole-in-one by Edd Bowles on the 10th using a five iron.
Playing alongside the ladies’ captain, and David Wells, the players walked round to the green with no ball in sight. Edd couldn’t believe his luck when he checked the hole on the off-chance.
You may also want to watch:
Back in the clubhouse Edd’s news had travelled fast and all the players were very grateful for the hole-in-one drink.
The competition was also the first of the Sunday Order of Merit Competitions so players were keen to get a good start to the year.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 4 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 5 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 6 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
- 9 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 10 Do you have rare East Anglian apples growing in your garden?
Third place went to Bob Janney with 37 points, losing on countback to Steve Driver.
Taking the honours with an exceptional score of 43 and a handicap cut off 1.0 taking him down to 8.7 was Edd Bowles.
Ladies’ captain Sam Cooper thanked James and David for preparing the greens and Carmen for helping with the hot refreshments that followed.
Tomorrow (Saturday) the men’s captain James Cushing has his Drive-In followed by the Monthly Medal.
ACE DAY: Pictured are ladies’ captain Sam Cooper and Edd Bowles, who aced the 10th hole at Beccles GC.