Earsham hit six to stay on course for promotion

Diss Town have a new manager. Picture: Archant

Diss Town have a new manager. Picture: Archant - Credit: Archant

Earsham returned from Wymondham with a deserved three points, but were made to work hard for them by the hosts.

This was a vital win and with Earsham’s rivals dropping points elsewhere hopes of promotion lie firmly within their own hands.

With a number of players unavailable, manager Dave Reeder was forced to shuffle his squad. Dan Lowe came into the defence alongside Kev Riches, Justin Doughty and Tom Ramsay in front of goalkeeper Adam Honeywood.

Matt Goodfellow and Nick Kent were moved from familiar full back roles to wide midfield positions with James Goodfellow partnering Alfie Seamons in the centre. Dan Smith and Shaun Flint led the attack with Marcus Plant.

Earsham started on the front foot were ahead after only five minutes when Riches met Flint’s free- kick on the full to volley home.

However, after the bright start Earsham struggled on the bumpy surface and Wymondham were gifted an equaliser after half an hour when Riches attempted to head back to his goalkeeper, but the ball took a large bounce and sailed over Honeywood and into the back of the net.

After another frustrating period, Earsham finally took the lead after an hour when Plant found space on the left and his cross was met by Ramsay who headed past the keeper to relieve the pressure. Soon after it was 3-1 when M. Goodfellow sent in a deep cross from the left which eluded everyone and found its way into the net.

Most Read

Having taken the lead, Earsham inexplicitly eased off and allowed Wymondham back into the game when their striker broke clear and finished well. Minutes later, Honeywood made a smart stop from a volley to ensure Earsham maintained their lead.

After a few choice words from the sidelines, Earsham regained their composure and added a fourth when Hall turned to create space in the box to finish well.

Ramsay got his second of the afternoon and Earsham’s fifth when his shot was deflected past the home goalkeeper by an unfortunate defender and the scoring was completed in the 85th minute when Riches got his second of the afternoon when he headed home via the underside of the bar from J.Goodfellow’s corner.

On Saturday Earsham make the long trip to face Downham Town Reserves (2.30pm).