Earsham open their campaign with a couple of victories

Liam Betts of Ovamill Ltd with Earsham's players before their opening day win over Hempnall in Divis

Liam Betts of Ovamill Ltd with Earsham's players before their opening day win over Hempnall in Division Three of the Anglian Combination. Ovamill have sponsored Earsham's new pre-match warm up jumpers. Turn inside for a report on the club's start to the season. Picture: Tom Ramsay - Credit: Archant

Earsham returned from fellow promoted side Costessey Sports with a 2-1 win to make it six points out of six in Division Three after their 1-0 win over Hempnall during the week.

Under the guidance of new player manager Shaun Flint, Earsham lined up in a 4-5-1 formation. Rob Howes kept goal, Matt Goodfellow partnered Tom Ramsay in central defence and Nick Kent and Ryan McFadden as the full backs.

The midfield three was made up of Myles Clarke, Robbie Mitson and Alfie Seamons with Ross Hepburn and Jamie Foyster providing the width. Last season’s top scorer Dan Smith led the attack with Matthew Hall, Marcus Plant and Flint himself making up the substitutes’ bench.

Earsham began the game well and moved the ball around nicely on the superb playing surface, with Clarke, Mitson and Seamons being given a lot of room in the centre of midfield.

Earsham were unfortunate not to take the lead after 20 minutes when Goodfellow saw his free-kick tipped onto the bar by the home goalkeeper.

However, not long after this Earsham did have the lead. Kent and Foyster combined well down the right and Foyster’s pull back from the by-line found Smith who made no mistake from eight yards to open his account for the season.

Earsham continued to apply pressure to the home side and doubled their lead after 35 minutes when after a neat passing move Smith was brought down in the area. He picked himself up and tucked the penalty away off the post. Howes had to be on hand to punch a number of dangerous corners away to ensure Earsham went into the break two goals to the good.

Most Read

The second half was fairly even, but as Earsham tired, Costessey saw more of the ball. They were given a lifeline after 70 minutes when Ramsay mistimed his tackle and conceded a penalty and the striker made no mistake.

However, Earsham were able to see out the game and take home all three points.

Earsham travelled to Beccles Caxton on Tuesday evening and came away with a 1-1 draw to maintain their unbeaten start. They host Norwich CEYMS Reserves on Saturday (2.30pm).

Caxton opened their campaign with a 4-4 home draw with Hingham (Billy Davies, Marc Howard, Gerald Martin, Luke Gibson). They are at home to Swaffham Reserves on Saturday.